I chose Chase because I am a person of action as well as a writer, and thought the best user name was an action verb. Chase just about says it all - chased by demons of my past, chasing a better future - my whole life has been about the chase.

Eric is a part of my actual nickname which evokes "Viking". The Vikings were explorers. The land under their feet was the variable, their braverty the constant. As survivors, that is the essential formula of our math. For those who have had few challenges in life, the reverse is most often true - that their ground is constant and how they stand is conditional. Our strength - like the Vikings - is that we have been called to face the boldness of our challenge, and what defines us is not what happened to us, but how we owned up to it.

In any case, when people call me Eric (var. Eirik), they are pretty close to calling me what my non-virtual friends do. Although usually called by my main nick, if someone shouted Eric right now, I would turn my head.

Truth is as important to me as the safety of anonymity. Finding a way to do both actually caused me to fret a bit. That's why my signature used to say "under pseudonym" - I can at least be honest about not being totally "honest". Site guidelines also strongly encourage us to use a safe pseudonym.

My avatar will likely rotate through a series of childhood pics and in one case my childhood portrait (done by an artist in Toronto, Canada when I was 9). Don't be surprised if my cat shows up as an avatar smile