Newest Members
YTUK, twinker, LaneFiasco95, Kristabar, tom93
13514 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (57), Ready2MoveOn (47)
Who's Online
2 registered (usmc97, 1 invisible), 78 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,514 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,199 Topics
490,151 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#515707 - 09/27/17 10:05 PM Re: Struggling and Married [Re: CelloL]
Dan99 Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Originally Posted By CelloL
What if on the beach mental exercise, one is not sexually attracted to anyone?

Sorry. I see it doesn't work for everyone. It worked so simply for me I wanted to pass it along. This might be a good question for a therapist or consult Joe Kort at his website. He really seems to know this issue inside and out.

Quote:

What I have figured out is that I could never kiss a man: major gross out. I'm slightly grossed out by kissing anyway. As a musician and having to play for a few gay weddings, I can't look when they kiss.

I obviously don't know your story. But I know one thing about my situation is the specifics of my abuse are really tightly keyed in to things that trigger me.

Kissing was never a part of my experience. But startle me when I'm sleeping (which did happen to me a lot) and I'll likely freak out.

Same thing if someone keeps me waiting a long time at home for them to arrive. I won't bore you with details, but it ties in with my abuse, and boy can something that simple really trigger me.
love like you've never been hurt;
and live life every day as if it were your last.

#515742 - 09/28/17 09:56 PM Re: Struggling and Married [Re: Dean-GMoT]
manipulated Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Great Lakes Wine Country
Dean-GMoT

The following is a another thread you might find helpful or not in this category:

http://www.discussion.malesurvivor.org/b...;gonew=1#UNREAD
.......................-- Dr. Seuss

#515750 - 09/29/17 05:28 AM Re: Struggling and Married [Re: George]
Chase Eric Offline

George -

That was one of the most affecting things I have read here - the honesty, the level of sharing, and frankly the resonance with much of my own experience really hit home for me.

#515754 - 09/29/17 08:33 AM Re: Struggling and Married [Re: Dean-GMoT]
CelloL Offline

Loc: Missouri
Dan99, I might add that I tend to feel embarrassed seeing people scantily dressed as on a beach. Sometimes I do admire good physique (sometimes wishing I could look that good) but I don't see it as sexual. In my past I've seen sexuality as dirty and I tried to repress it as best I could. This could be an issue in my marriage but my wife is going through menopause so there is little or no interest anyway.

#515765 - 09/29/17 02:36 PM Re: Struggling and Married [Re: CelloL]
Dan99 Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Originally Posted By CelloL
Dan99, I might add that I tend to feel embarrassed seeing people scantily dressed as on a beach. Sometimes I do admire good physique (sometimes wishing I could look that good) but I don't see it as sexual. In my past I've seen sexuality as dirty and I tried to repress it as best I could. This could be an issue in my marriage but my wife is going through menopause so there is little or no interest anyway.

I can relate to suppressing sexual behaviors. I've gone for periods of well over a year without sex. It barely entered my mind. And I've felt great about it. Like you, I tend to think of sex as a bad thing, because it was bad the way I was abused. So when I avoided it, I was reinforcing that I was not "bad" in the way my abuser was.

But there's also a duality to my personality and when I slip back to being sexually active, it's usually as a way of closing down the negative thoughts I'm having about myself. If I can attract sex partners, I'm proving I'm not that loser-victim.

Sexual promiscuity/abstinence is like so many other things I've done to muffle the after affects of abuse. It works for a while. Then I figure out that it's just a trick of the mind. I am happy that I feel like I'm getting the sexual angle to this whole thing finally wrestled to the ground. But what I'm not sure about is what's next.
love like you've never been hurt;
and live life every day as if it were your last.

#515937 - 10/06/17 07:12 AM Re: Struggling and Married [Re: Dean-GMoT]
CelloL Offline

Loc: Missouri
Dan99, I was never promiscuous so I can't relate to that aspect. I tended to repress. As a single man I had a fear that having sex with a woman would hurt her and I couldn't imagine it being pleasurable for her. I think I had that latter impression from a couple speeches I heard on TV by members of NOW. Not counting CSA, I never had sexual relations until my honeymoon when I was 37.

Right now I crave affection but not sex. That 3-letter word scares me right now.

#516514 - 10/19/17 07:46 PM Re: Struggling and Married [Re: Dean-GMoT]
SDD757 Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Dean,

I am in the same situation you are... thanks for sharing. I'll post more when I get a little more time...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.