Newest Members
ihrlieben, Hereygone, Aloe, Jumzey31, Live
13466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (42), Harry (36), knigh50 (56), mike54 (59)
Who's Online
2 registered (TW16, Jacob S), 74 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,466 Registered Members
75 Forums
69,820 Topics
487,368 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#513186 - 07/10/17 08:28 PM Re: Who among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
dac Offline

Loc: OR
I am very late to this thread, and am reticent to offend anyone, but I suppose my opinion in the matter has as much value as anyone. So, the short answer is no, I do not believe in God, and have not for some time.

It took much "soul" searching, thought and work to get through the feeling that I should believe in god. I was raised Catholic. Very Catholic. After my abuse and its long aftermath I tried to get well again by returning to different forms of Christianity. Those efforts were followed by what I considered to be genuine explorations of just about every other faith out there except for voodoo. In the end, I think there is not much difference between Christianity and voodoo, or between any other religion and voodoo.

The problem with most religions, as I see it, is that they all are based on a belief in God. When you base your beliefs on a thing that is invisible, unseen, unheard, unwitnessed and unknown, you are bound to head for trouble. And our poor world has no shortage of trouble, on which, apparently, no amount of belief in God has any effect. My own opinion is that we would all be better off if people could shake off their beliefs in god and some hoped for afterlife and try to make the actual home we know a better place by becoming better humans.

I do believe that the universe is a sort of wonderful, magical place, full of wonder and beauty and is deep beyond conception. I also believe that it is basically meaningless. Which, as it turns out, is actually a great thing because it gives our lives a great purpose, to create meaning. We must do this, ourselves, and it is not good enough to download a pre-ordained script into our brains to give it meaning.

Everyone has to figure these things out for themselves, and I respect the journeys people take, even if I do not respect the destinations. I can understand why others would want to believe, but I must be true to myself. I will be your friend, your brother, your helper, your guide, but I will never be your coreligionist.

#513231 - 07/11/17 05:23 PM Re: Who among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
DanielQ432 Offline

Loc: Midwest
Well, I believe there is a force at work that transcends what we know of the laws of physics and chemistry. Call it God if you wish, call it Good, call it Karma, call it Energy, whatever. Is it some "supernatural" thing? I dunno. It could be something beyond our ability to ever understand. Or, like taking Polaroids of never-before-encounted tribal people in Amazonia or Papua New Guinea, they, as "primitives" might consider it to be supernatural, magic, but to us, it's just technology. "God" or this Energy may be something that, some day, we know, measure, quantify, and harness for our own uses - the power of life and death, the power over time and space, the power of creation and destruction.

There can be great beauty in religion, but ... like any human institution, no matter how noble the goals, human imperfection, human ideas, human problems creep in, and religious institutions are fraught with the peril of corruption, as we have seen so many times.

For those reasons, I consider myself a spiritual person, but not a religiously affiliated one. I am culturally a Christian, but had no opportunity growing up to pursue that, and now have too many questions and too much distrust and cynicism to "believe". So, I guess I'll find my spirituality where I always have, bright moonlit nights and foggy meadows at sunrise and the cycles of life and death.

#513691 - 07/24/17 03:59 AM Re: Who among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
CelloL Offline

Loc: Missouri
There had better be a God. I've been upset with him for a long time. I pleaded for mercy during the worst of abuse and of my panic attacks and phobias and didn't feel like I got it. I used to be legalistic and fearful of a very judgmental God because of the strictness of the family I grew up in. These days I'm less intense but enjoy the music and liturgy of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. After I die, I'm going to be really angry if I discover God doesn't exist.

#513700 - 07/24/17 08:35 AM Re: Who among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
Hoss Offline

To know thyself is to have first person experience.

the key to all healthy relationships is Love.

they who has not known love, has not known god.

loving self and others as self is the golden rule.

the kingdom of heaven, of love, is a state of mind that comes from within us.

Luke 11:52 Woe to you experts in religious law! You have taken away the key to knowledge! You did not go in yourselves, and you hindered those who were going in.”

Edited by Hoss (07/24/17 08:37 AM)
Edit Reason: additional info
Tat Tvam Asi
Ahmi Yat Ahmi
Nuk Pu Nuk
All in all
You're not just a drop in the ocean. You're a whole ocean in a drop. - rumi
He who wishes to be greatest must be a friend to all.

#513705 - 07/24/17 10:02 AM Re: Who among you still believes in God? [Re: traillius]
MACH123 Offline

This is a problematic issue. There are some real simple ways to put it. Is there an absolute right and wrong? Answer that and I won't have to ask you anymore questions I already know what you'll say. (well maybe a couple more) Do any of you guys have trouble getting help from a therapist because they are all sort of "left leaning lol."

Happily mine is a centrist though I accused her of being a Marxist for a couple years. She has a great story and actually did some time in a convent but, I digress. I guess I'm a centrist as well actually though I identify as Christian. It's a long story. Christian's by the way if you don't know this like nothing better than to fight amongst themselves about the "right way to be right." I almost never have anything to do with them lol.

I think you'll like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxsNpMpPT3Q

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.