More Abuse Tracker
Monday, April 14, 2003
Fulton man arrested on child pornography charges - again
The Fulton Sun
By KIMBERLY LONG
and news staff
The Fulton Sun
In 1992, Fulton resident Jack Wayne Rogers said he realized he was wrong in possessing child pornography, and he was convicted of that crime.
Yet, after his indictment and subsequent arrest Thursday, the one-time Fulton Boy Scout leader and Ecumenical Ministries director again stands accused.
Federal and state agencies Thursday arrested Rogers, 58, at his Columbia-based business -- Deck and Decker Employment Service -- following an indictment, which was returned under seal by a federal grand jury on April 5, in Jefferson City. Rogers will remain in custody at least until his detention hearing at 10 a.m. Monday.
Count One of the federal indictment alleges that from an unknown date until March 18 in Callaway County, Rogers possessed computer files containing visual depictions of persons under the age of 18 engaging in sexually explicit conduct.
Count Two of the federal indictment would require Rogers to forfeit to the United States the images and the property used to commit the offense, including an eMachine computer and a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Notebook computer.
Posted by Kathy Shaw 9:57:27 AM
E-mail this item | Add Your Comments | QuickLink: A29906
Bellflower church stunned by Rogers' arrest
The Fulton Sun
BY KIMBERLY LONG
The Fulton Sun
BELLFLOWER, Mo. -- Members of the Bellflower Presbyterian Church are conducting services today without their minister, a 58-year-old Fulton man arrested Thursday for possession of child pornography who is being investigated in connection to a missing-person case.
Commissioned Lay Pastor Jack Wayne Rogers, the Montgomery County church's interim preacher, awaits a detainment hearing scheduled for Monday in Jefferson City. Outside of the child-pornography charge, law-enforcement officials are investigating a possible link between Rogers and a northwest Missouri man missing for more than two years.
A U.S. Justice Dept. affidavit includes Rogers' e-mails to a man in Alabama, in which acts of child torture and mutilation are depicted. In the e-mails, Rogers implicates himself in the abduction, rape and murder of Branson Kayne Perry, who was 20 years old at the time of his April 2001 disappearance from Skidmore, a town about 15 miles southwest of Maryville.
An online newsletter posted Friday by the Presbytery of Missouri Union offices in Jefferson City said the Bellflower congregation was aware of the situation and knew that Rogers was being detained.
Posted by Kathy Shaw 9:54:36 AM
E-mail this item | Add Your Comments | QuickLink: A29900
Priest's reinstatement splits Belmont parish
San Francisco Chronicle
To the outrage of many parishioners and clergy abuse survivors, the San Francisco Archdiocese has taken the highly unusual step of reinstating a Roman Catholic pastor to his Belmont flock despite a pending civil suit alleging child sexual abuse.
The Rev. Daniel Carter, suspended in August from his post at Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, exulted from the pulpit a week ago Sunday over his return from "a desert wherein there was great pain and much suffering."
Numerous parishioners greeted him with a standing ovation.
But on the sidewalk outside, toting placards and leaflets, an array of protesters voiced fury over the priest's reinstatement.
"People are confused and afraid that this will destroy the parish," says Carol Mateus, a parishioner for 10 years. "It's blatant hypocrisy. The archdiocese claims it cares about victims, yet they are putting an accused priest back in his parish."
Posted by Kathy Shaw 9:06:23 AM
E-mail this item | Add Your Comments | QuickLink: A29888
Few priests face expulsion
Detroit Free Press
BY PATRICIA MONTEMURRI
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
Despite the strict promises made last year by U.S. Catholic leaders seeking to end a raging sex-abuse crisis, some Michigan bishops are opting not to take the next big step -- booting predatory priests out for good.
Among Michigan's seven dioceses, only Archdiocese of Detroit officials now say they will ask the Vatican to laicize the errant priests. The rare procedure formalizes a priest's return to the status of layperson and severs his ties to his diocese.
Bishops in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Saginaw and Marquette say what they've already done -- banning the men from working, dressing or identifying themselves as priests -- satisfies rules adopted by U.S. Catholic bishops at two meetings last year.
Although church officials' early predictions suggested that only 1 or 2 percent of Michigan priests would be caught in the scandal, a tally by the Free Press shows that about 5 percent of active diocesan priests statewide were removed from their jobs since January2002.
Posted by Kathy Shaw 8:58:34 AM
E-mail this item | Add Your Comments | QuickLink: A29885
Diocese relieves two priests of duty
ALBANY - The Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany announced on Sunday, at the beginning of the religion's most meaningful week, that it has removed two more of its priests from duty because of sexual abuse allegations.
Rev. Sean McMahon, most recently an associate pastor at Sacred Heart Parish in Cairo, has been permanently removed from public ministry by Bishop Howard J. Hubbard, acting on the recommendation of the diocesan's misconduct panel.
Rev. John Connolly, most re- cently the chaplain for diocesan cemeteries, has been placed on administrative leave and rem- oved from ministry pending the investigation by the diocesan misconduct panel of two claims.
Posted by Kathy Shaw 8:55:58 AM
E-mail this item | Add Your Comments | QuickLink: A29879
Diocese removes priests accused of sexual abuse
By ANDREW TILGHMAN, Staff writer
First published: Monday, April 14, 2003
Two Albany Diocese priests accused of molesting children in the 1970s were removed from the ministry last week, the ninth and 10th local clergymen to lose their posts in the 15-month-old sexual abuse scandal, church officials said Sunday.
The two priests named publicly on Palm Sunday were the Rev. John F. Connolly, 67, a roving assistant pastor and former principal at Cardinal McCloskey High School in Albany; and the Rev. Sean McMahon, 69, a native of Ireland and longtime parish priest at Sacred Heart Church in Cairo, Green County, church officials said.
Albany Bishop Howard Hubbard said announcements were made Sunday from pulpits in several Capital Region parishes where the two men had served. The state's five-year criminal statute of limitations has expired on the incidents of abuse, and the allegations will not be referred to prosecutors, church officials said.
McMahon admitted to sexually abusing a child in the 1970s, after the victim contacted the diocese in recent months. As a result, Hubbard permanently barred him serving in any public capacity as a priest, including celebrating Mass.
Posted by Kathy Shaw 8:51:57 AM
E-mail this item | Add Your Comments | QuickLink: A29876
Victim Begins Vigil at Cathedral
LOS ANGELES (CA)
Los Angeles Times
By William Lobdell and Steve Hymon
Times Staff Writers
April 14, 2003
The crowds at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels on Palm Sunday mostly ignored him. The weather was threatening to soak him.
That didn't deter Manuel Vega from beginning what promises to be a lonely eight-day vigil and fast to protest how the Archdiocese of Los Angeles has responded to the allegations of sexual abuse by some of its priests. The 36-year-old Oxnard police officer and Navy reservist, who has said he was abused by a priest when he was a boy, wants to use the holiest week of the Christian calendar as a backdrop.
"What's one week out of my life?" Vega asked. "This is something I feel I need to do for the other victims. I don't care if it rains. It's felt like it was raining inside here ever since I was abused," he added while tapping his heart.
Posted by Kathy Shaw 8:43:47 AM
E-mail this item | Add Your Comments | QuickLink: A29870
S.C. priest pleads guilty in abuse case
ROCK HILL (NC)
NICHOLE MONROE BELL
A Catholic priest asked fellow Catholics and the community for forgiveness Friday as he pleaded guilty to fondling a 5-year-old Rock Hill girl in her living room 2 1/2 years ago.
York County Circuit Court Judge John Hayes sentenced Father Juan Castano, 44, to two years in prison and two years probation on the charge of lewd act upon a minor under the age of 16.
Castano remains suspended from ministry and could possibly be defrocked, a Diocese of Charleston spokeswoman said. Castano's lawyer, public defender Harry Dest, said his client also may be deported back to his home country of Colombia due to the nature of the guilty plea.
Castano had a three-year visiting status at The Oratory in Rock Hill, where he served the Latino community. Castano faced up to 15 years in prison on the lewd act charge. As part of his plea agreement, prosecutors asked the judge to limit his sentence to two years.
Posted by Kathy Shaw 8:35:26 AM
E-mail this item | Add Your Comments | QuickLink: A29867
Ex-pastor sued for sexual harassment
The former pastor of Groveland Congregational Church is being sued by a woman who claims he sexually harassed her.
The Rev. Carlton Talbot III has just completed a 10-day sentence after pleading guilty to sexually molesting a former church worker.
Posted by Kathy Shaw 8:20:21 AM
E-mail this item | Add Your Comments | QuickLink: A29861