Newest Members
mattevans, Arle30, SuAn, Tranquil, smichael
13561 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (34), GregoryP (53), GregoryParcell (53), junior (57), KDW78 (39), nansogre (51)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,561 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,523 Topics
492,509 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#74759 - 04/09/05 06:58 PM fantastic movie
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I rented "Manhood"

Its basically about growing up and raising sons and just how life works out.

sorry, not the best de>
-Blade Runner

#74760 - 04/10/05 04:57 AM Re: fantastic movie
Logan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
just wanted to add something.

The therapist in this movie obviously acted very inappropriatly. But Jack, eventually figures this out and avocates for him self and stands up for himself.

so this may be triggering to some, but i think it leads to triumph!

Logan

-Blade Runner

#74761 - 04/30/05 09:08 AM Re: fantastic movie
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
Hey Logan,

I rented Manhood a couple of weeks ago, on your recommendation, and I watched it twice.

The first time through, I thought to myself, this writer really understands men - the male pysche in several permutations - Jack, the boys, the bro-in-law.

The second time through I really appreciated the actor's work. They were so subtle and natural it just made this story so personal and affecting.

The direction was also so unobtrusive it just drew me in deeper second by second. Very impressive.

I agree about the therapist's behavior. That seemed the one false note in this story. So cliche, even though it was important that Jack be seeing a therapist. And it was also a key point that he had a conflict with her.

I think that was the point where he realized that he was only still seeing her from habit, not from any real need. Not to say there wasn't a need at one time; there was a real need, a need to heal and recover, but Jack had grown incredibly by that point and didn't realize it until he walked out of that office.

It's a powerful moment, a real triumph, but the details of the conflict still seem off-key, out of tune with the sublety of this story. I just wish it would have been handled differently.

As I think of this story I am reminded of what Derek Luke said in an interview about playing Antwoine Fisher;
Quote:
"I was in tears and the thing about the tears was that there was healing going on. That's why I wanted to do this>

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.