Newest Members
HealingNow45, NewStart, detreker, WifeLife, Oskar
13694 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
doubleL (32), eltoro65 (53), Ken Followell (2018), orlando (35), rogers33 (41), SweetCandi (35)
Who's Online
2 registered (Confused52, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,694 Registered Members
75 Forums
71,200 Topics
497,362 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#74580 - 07/01/03 05:57 PM Meditation books
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
There is a weekly meditation book called On The Path and it is primarily for women survivors--but it fits us perfectly

I have found Touchstones Daily Meditations for Men to be good although not on survivor issues. The later is one of the Hazelden Meditation series.

Has anyone seen a meditation book, similar to these specifically for male survivors?

Bob

#74581 - 07/01/03 06:32 PM Re: Meditation books
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Bob,

Check out "Surviving with Serenity" which contains 365 daily meditations for SA survivors.
I have & use it. I think its out of print but checked used books at Amazon thru MS bookstore.

Victor

#74582 - 07/03/03 05:25 PM Re: Meditation books
RemittentPeace Offline

I found Minfulness in plain english good. it is attached to buddhist philosphy as a warning, so if you are not into that, it's probably worth skipping.

#74583 - 07/03/03 10:44 PM Re: Meditation books
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Hey RP,

I think the buddhist precepts are priceless. The only one I can't reconcile with is the idea of karma, per se, but I encourage anyone who has the self discipline [even those who do not] give a look into the practice of mindfulness.

Ron

#74584 - 07/07/03 03:16 AM Re: Meditation books
martin Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The Good Earth
I just started reading a new book on bhuddist meditation called "How to Practice" it is primarily on bhuddist techniques, which I am growing a deep interest in, but I will let you know if there are any meditations that would apply / be helpful here.

Another bhuddist meditation that I'm finding helpful is calm abiding, I think it goes along with mindfulness. Not sure though.

Peace,
Aaron

Its times like these time & time again.
-The Foo Fighters

#74585 - 08/22/03 04:02 AM Re: Meditation books
martin Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The Good Earth
I wanted to come back to this post, well cause I said I would.

Found one technique that has proved useful for me and it is related to the practice of mindfulness. Don't know if it has an official name but I'll try to explain it.

Its kinda like letting go and holding on at the same time. When strong emotion or sense seems to be taking over you stand back and observe it, recognize it, and experience it without letting it take control.

For instance a few weeks ago it was late at night and I was posting here on MS. Heard something run by outside--a deer most likely--all of a sudden this wave of fear came over me. Felt the shadows grow, my skin was crawling, it was intense. I said to myself, ok, this is fear and experienced it. I became more calm and at ease. The fear did not go away immediately--not for several hours really--but it did not overwhelm or panic me. It was merely an experience that ran its course.

There were underlying causes to it, mostly stress related but I didn't let those worry me at the time.

The main jist is just to have the emotions and recognize them as such. Its like taking a step into the wider you. The quote from the book about this is something like, "an emotion can not overtake you if you are putting up no resistance."

Ironic :rolleyes:

Not really a meditation but useful.

Thanks.

Its times like these time & time again.
-The Foo Fighters

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.