Newest Members
majidahsan, Will85, miguel321col, Healing light, Loni55
13874 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Brian3022 (45), drewbe2 (55), GT13568 (59), Jay1159 (41), kevin308 (51), kharlow146 (61), RTA_Anaphe Support (42), susoicious parent (53)
Who's Online
5 registered (Jack86, Confused52, house, Broknwings, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,874 Registered Members
75 Forums
72,185 Topics
504,372 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#530444 - 01/04/19 06:36 PM New Forum and Chat Platform - Questions & Concerns
ModTeam Offline

Loc: Everywhere
A NEW SOFTWARE PLATFORM will be installed on the MaleSurvivor servers in early February, resulting in a down time estimated to be between 2-3 weeks. A Global sticky post will be appended to all forums describing the transition. Any questions or concerns may be asked here, and while we cannot promise quick responses, moderators will keep tabs on this thread and respond when we can.

PLEASE: Read this announcement before posting any questions here, as you may find we have already addressed the questions you may have.

#530448 - 01/04/19 08:03 PM Re: New Forum and Chat Platform - Questions & Concerns [Re: ModTeam]
Ceremony Offline
Greeter

Loc: Minnesota
I wonder if I should ask this in a different way? The first thing that popped into my head was a short-term, 2-3 week closed Facebook group? I know it would need moderators and rules like here.

What if?

#530452 - 01/04/19 10:48 PM Re: New Forum and Chat Platform - Questions & Concerns [Re: ModTeam]
Chase Eric Offline

It is an interesting thought, but setting up a new Facebook platform that is not designed to handle the volume or structure of the current forum, the inability to cross-reference to existing threads, utilizing a limited volunteer staff to design and operate it while they are already focused and fully taxed on moving the upgrade along with the current platform as quickly and efficiently as possible, not to mention the different rules for Facebook with possible legal restrictions, the need for moderation, the great difficulty in setting up anonymous and protected user profiles that also correlate to recognized user profiles on MS, the disjointed conversations that would inevitably result between two different platforms, and then the need to close those Facebook conversations once the main forum is back up ... I am not sure that it is at all feasible, necessary, or even realistically possible. Given the relatively short period the site will be down, I think it is best to focus on devoting our efforts solely on this demanding and important project without the distraction of trying to create and run another. Just my thoughts.

Please understand that we are sensitive to the need for continuity. That is why we are providing numerous links to other resources, including RAINN, 1in6, MenHealing, as well as the Twitter feeds and Facebook posts that will keep everyone updated during the relatively short period the site will be down.

#530474 - 01/05/19 07:56 PM Re: New Forum and Chat Platform - Questions & Concerns [Re: ModTeam]
blacken Offline
Chat Moderator

Loc: Northern Ohio
As LoneWolfX & TJ Jeff said elsewhere, the announcement is easily lost in all of the other Posted threads at the top of each forum.

Even with that red icon, it isn't easy to notice, that there IS, in fact, a NEW announcement.

What else can we do to get the word out?

#530477 - 01/05/19 10:18 PM Re: New Forum and Chat Platform - Questions & Concerns [Re: ModTeam]
Chase Eric Offline

I shall check with the powers that be. I agree - we do need a more prominent banner announcement. Thanks, Paul.

#530478 - 01/05/19 10:19 PM Re: New Forum and Chat Platform - Questions & Concerns [Re: blacken]
Ceremony Offline
Greeter

Loc: Minnesota
Because we can't bring that announcement to the top, I think regular links to it makes sense.

MS Announcment, An update will occur, and the site will be down during that time.

#530480 - 01/05/19 10:28 PM Re: New Forum and Chat Platform - Questions & Concerns [Re: ModTeam]
Chase Eric Offline

The announcement is always at the top in every forum. But I am thinking a banner announcement or a pop-up is called for. I will work on getting that implemented through channels (it's a step above my pay grade smile )

#530481 - 01/05/19 10:44 PM Re: New Forum and Chat Platform - Questions & Concerns [Re: ModTeam]
Chase Eric Offline

Wheels are now moving on this one, so stay tuned. Ironically, we are working within the limits of the very software vehicle we want to replace for its lack of flexibility in situations like this.

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND at the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.