Newest Members
WaJoKo, eartherncuppatea, jakesweden, JugglingDave, Dan981
13842 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DanielB (43), forth (57), KazuKun (40), Marinan (35), overcomer4life (46), wonderifandwhen (59)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 37 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,842 Registered Members
75 Forums
72,037 Topics
503,417 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#529560 - 11/29/18 06:23 PM judge makes powerful statement
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NE Ohio

#529571 - 11/30/18 12:07 AM Re: judge makes powerful statement [Re: traveler]
Chase Eric Offline

Thank you, Traveler. I am familiar with this case and with Heinrich. One of the best investigative pieces I have ever come across was about this case. They talk in great detail with Jared Scheierl, although not so much about the triggering details of his assault as much as the emotional repercussions (also triggering) and his incredible mission to find accountability with those who who should have addressed this whole mess far more effectively..

It is a multi-part series called APMreports - In the Dark which you can download and listen to if you have the time. Once you start, it's hard to stop, though. It's very well done and quite informative. I listened to on one of the many long car trips across the state I made last summer. I learned a lot not only about the case, but about policing, about evaluating the vulnerability of a community through known data, and about the role of community leadership in such cases (often starting with the Sheriff's department). This podcast reinforced my conjecture that the most effective way to address abuse is to focus more on the enablers of abuse. There will always be Heinrich's in the world. My abuser was very similar to him in many ways - a defective unit who - left to his own devices and under averted eyes - is hopeless, feeding on kids like a drug. They can't help themselves - but the people who can truly step forward and make a difference - and don't - have no excuse. It's a phenomenon - not just with Jared and Jacob, but with Penn State, with the Philadelphia archdiocese, with the Boy Scouts, and on and on. And it was a huge enabling factor for me.

The series is no doubt triggering - but it is not gratuitous in its detail, and they do a good job of warning the listener to brace for the more disturbing descriptions. If you do listen to it, perhaps you may ask the same question I am asking after reading this article: Why is the damages award only against Heinrich? I see a lot of culpability with the Stearns County sheriff department - in fact maybe even more. They certainly owe him at least as much as the defective man who abused him.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND at the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.