Newest Members
BeckBecks23, MtnBrewer, AloneInTheDark, football2018, Journey
13738 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adriano trabucco (46), Buddy (60), Paint (20)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,738 Registered Members
75 Forums
71,441 Topics
499,009 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#520030 - 01/13/18 07:05 PM Obsession
SDD757 Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Okay, I have these known issues OCD, PTSD and DID.

I'm not sure what has triggered it, but I have been obsessed for the last few days. Acting out like crazy. Immersing myself in gay and trans stuff (I'll just leave it at that).

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to talk to about it. I feel like it's insanity, but I'm obsessed and what it...

I am coming off of Paxil and onto Prozac/Wellbutin . But its been almost a month since there has been a change in meds. I've lost about 20 pounds since I started coming off Paxil. (I'm still about 20 pounds over where I need to be). I know that weight can play a part in the dosing of meds, but that would mean that I have a slightly higher dose now.

Any ideas?

#520040 - 01/14/18 05:05 AM Re: Obsession [Re: SDD757]
LoneWolfX Offline

Yes.

40 mg - 60 mg of Prozac is usually necessary for OCD, i.e. OCD usually requires a higher dose then "standard" depression.

Wellbutrin can cause anxiety due to its effect on noradrenaline. It is very useful for its "motivating" effects in depression as an add-on to an SSRI. Also it can counteract the sedative effects (in some) of SSRIs It is not an SSRI like Prozac. Because Prozac is generally regarding as the most "activating" SSRI you may find Wellbutrin unnecessary especially with Prozac at the higher dose indicated for OCD.

Paxil is well known for causing weight gain. Did you notice the sedative effects of paxil - sleepiness? Prozac often causes weight loss. You are more likely to experience a stimulating effect on Prozac than a sedative effect.

#520054 - 01/14/18 05:51 PM Re: Obsession [Re: SDD757]
SDD757 Offline

Thank you! I appreciate the info. I see my psych on Wednesday. So this is good info. I’m on 20 mg Prozac and 5 mg of Paxil. 150 mg of Wellbutrin...

#520115 - 01/16/18 05:05 AM Re: Obsession [Re: SDD757]
SDD757 Offline

I guess my next question: if someone is gay and they are in a mixed orientation marriage rather than with another man, will the lack of getting needs met lead to obsession?

Just being honest, I avoid sex in my marriage. It may be related to abuse; but I feel pressured to have sex when I don’t want to (which is all the time) and pressure to perform to ‘prove’ I’m not gay and getting better.

#520147 - 01/17/18 08:01 AM Re: Obsession [Re: SDD757]
LoneWolfX Offline

Remember obsession is often an insecurity issue. Compulsion even as thought about that obsession itself is a control issue - a faulty mechanism to attempt to quell the insecurity.

It sounds like your situation does not really fall into this category. I think it is the manifestation of sheer frustration and maybe a form of rebellion against feeling trapped by your wife's refusal to accept your sexual orientation.

#520155 - 01/17/18 01:16 PM Re: Obsession [Re: SDD757]
SDD757 Offline

This is a good point. I feel trapped to a life of secrecy. Putting up a heterosexual front so that my circle of homophobic acquaintances won’t make my wife feel bad. I definitely have control issues. I feel like my life is out of my control to make discussions that I want...

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.