Newest Members
Vishireth, Overthinker, VanNorte, Confused52, redbear
13677 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dixiepoodle (73), eric (46)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 51 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,677 Registered Members
75 Forums
71,094 Topics
496,687 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#520035 - 01/13/18 08:53 PM Re: If Anyone Is A Praying Person.... [Re: Chris4TheMill]
newground Offline
Chat Moderator

Loc: michigan
hey chris
my issues were caused by BPH and by fear and shame on my part. it began very young ( late 30s) and i finally saw the uro when i was 46. i couldn't bear the idea of going and it caused me to pretty much melt down so far as my abuse was concerned. the testing they did sent me for a loop as well and we got the symptoms under control so I quit going for a while. when the problems came back i ended up learning to self cath which again staved off the surgery for a year or so but i didn't like or trust the doc and i just couldn't see allowing him to do anything like that invasive. after three fairly serious infections my doc talked me into changing docs and I found there was damage to the bladder and nerve damage and I had to have the surgery right away. frown I did it and then two weeks later there was bleeding and I spent another week in hospital. It was an ordeal for sure and I am still saddled with seeing them on a regular basis to deal with the damage. It is so much better to get things taken care of I hope that everything smooths out soon for you and healing is complete
Jeff

#520303 - 01/21/18 08:50 PM Re: If Anyone Is A Praying Person.... [Re: Chris4TheMill]
Chris4TheMill Offline

Loc: NY / NJ Area
Hi everyone!

Had the surgery last Wednesday and stayed 2 days in the hospital. Long story short, the surgeon said that it went well... but then he dropped a bombshell on me. He said that he is sorry, but a freak thing happened that had never happened to him before - a portion of a needle broke off in my prostate(!). (I was of course upset as he is telling me this!). He said it might not do anything bad, or it might if it "migrates." He also said it would be risky to try to remove, and that they could not safely remove it during the procedure. But he wants us to monitor it going forward. I said great, but my insurance runs out in April....:(

So after seeking advice,I opened up a case with the hospital's Patient Services unit to review the surgery because I want to be covered in case I need treatment for this going forward. They have to do a full review and interview the surgeon, etc. It takes a month or more to get their review.

In the meantime, I am trying to focus on just recovering. The pain has not been too too bad, it is just very uncomfortable and there is bleeding. Also I will not be able to get an erection apparently for a few months (which of course is completely freaky). Plus there are other hurdles to overcome going forward.

But this is the first day I am trying to sit for any length of time. My emotions have been all over the place. I have had some very serious talks with God and am just telling Him all about what I am feeling, which hasn't been good lately. I am also doing a lot of reading, and just asking Him to give me the strength to get through this, I am just worn down by all the recent surgeries and rough times I have been having.

I know this sounds depressing, but it is just a(nother) season I hope. I am basically getting through this day by day but there are times I wake up and I just cannot get out of bed. I then tell Him that He needs to give me the strength to go on or it just isn't going to happen. He usually does.

O.K., I will end here for now but wanted to give an update. I am staying at a relative's house for the next few weeks. There's still a lot to be thankful for, even though life is very difficult right now. As always, I greatly appreciate everyone's prayers and support. I hope you are all doing well this week.

Cheers,

Chris

#520333 - 01/22/18 10:20 AM Re: If Anyone Is A Praying Person.... [Re: Chris4TheMill]
CelloL Offline

Loc: Missouri
Thanks for the update, Chris. Oh, crap. A broken off needle? Yikes. Understandable you'd be upset. I hope it doesn't cause problems or pain in the future. I'll keep praying for healing.

#521016 - 02/13/18 08:01 PM Re: If Anyone Is A Praying Person.... [Re: Chris4TheMill]
Chris4TheMill Offline

So...I have been more active on the board lately, I just haven't given an update on this situation. I'll try to be brief....

For 3 weeks after the surgery, I had two tubes coming out of me (both below the waist) and life wasn't all that pleasant, but bearable.
Last Friday, they removed the more uncomfortable one of the two. I still feel some pain, but in general it is a relief because I can finally walk around much more freely now.

I still have the remaining tube that they want to remove this Friday. In order for that to happen though, I have to be able to urinate on my own, with some medical device help. That is the next hurdle and the thing that I would most appreciate prayer for at this point - that we can get things to work in the pee department.

I am in much better spirits in general, it was rough there for awhile. As for the needle mishap, I talked to the surgeon and he agrees that the hospital should be responsible for paying for my care when my insurance runs out. He is going to talk to them about that. We'll have to see going forward if the needle fragment becomes an issue or can be left alone.

About 2 weeks ago I also came down with the flu, and it was a doozy. Probably the worst one I have ever had. I ended up largely in bed for close to a week.

Otherwise have had some unwanted family drama, been doing alot of reading, writing, and listening to music. The weather has been extremely cold. At some point I will have to return to my apartment. Overall though, I really appreciate everyone who has been here for me - in any way, large or small - because i don't think I could have gotten through this without your support and prayers. So thank you.

Hope your week is going well,

Chris

#521033 - 02/14/18 06:12 PM Re: If Anyone Is A Praying Person.... [Re: Chris4TheMill]
CelloL Offline

Loc: Missouri
Hi Chris, thank you for the update. Will continue praying for you.

#521319 - 02/26/18 08:30 PM Re: If Anyone Is A Praying Person.... [Re: Chris4TheMill]
Chris4TheMill Offline

Well, it's about time for an update. Time does fly!

Long story short, a few weeks ago I got the Foley removed and a week later the plan was to have me try to use a catheter on my own. If that worked, they would pull out the suprapubic tube and send me on my way. However, it did NOT work and there was another blockage. I was really upset at that point. The surgeon wanted to do a cystoscopy right then and there and I said, no way. You will have to put me out first. So we scheduled that for last Thursday.

I'm like a frequent flyer at this hospital now, lol.

Turns out my surgery did not heal in a straight line, there was a kink in it which created another blockage. When I was put under on Thursday, the surgeon tried to fix it, smooth it out by cutting a portion of the ridge that was there now. So in order to allow this new procedure to heal, I am back with two tubes again (yes, it is as fun as it sounds - NOT!!). I go back in 2 weeks to try again. We'll see how that goes. Of course all prayers are coveted! smile

I was hoping to get back to my apartment, at least for part of the week, but that is back on hold for now. Staying in someone else's house has been a challenge, but it has it's benefits too.

I got the audio book "If God Is Good..." by Randy Alcorn on Audible and have been listening to it. 48 chapters and 24 hours of content, yikes. We'll see if I learn anything. I usually find these types of books less than earth-shattering in terms of impact or content. It all seems to really come down to, will you let God be God in your life? Will you surrender your life to Him to do with as He sees fit? I think that is the hardest part of the Christian life by far. Everything else kind of pales by comparison. And that is more of a heart attitude than a theology.

#521321 - 02/26/18 11:26 PM Re: If Anyone Is A Praying Person.... [Re: Chris4TheMill]
genedebs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MO
Dear Chris4TheMill,

I praise the Lord, ask him for your health and restoration. Perhaps it is not Christian, but Of Course I am a Jew.

I understand the idea of surrendering your life to God, I have been in AA for more than 20 years. But the prayer is for your return to health, that your medical and health care professionals are caring and kind, and understanding your difficulties. No question that ultimately no doctor or individual will determine your fate.

But I believe that some of prayer is reflexive. That is that it provides for the best of peoples capACITY IS BROUGHT TO the FORE.(sorry for he caps). So while I understand the lack of patience to meet "the earth shattering" content that you must surrender - that is to the outcome which you must accept.

But your efforts to achieve restoration and negotiate your needs with the professionals. That you have the strength and resiliance to advocate for yourself. More than would this be adequate without prayers and support from all us.

#521327 - 02/27/18 03:45 AM Re: If Anyone Is A Praying Person.... [Re: Chris4TheMill]
Chris4TheMill Offline

Thanks Genedebs. I'll happily accept any prayer, from anyone. It's all good.

Best,

Chris

#521331 - 02/27/18 10:26 AM Re: If Anyone Is A Praying Person.... [Re: Chris4TheMill]
Ferguson Offline

Thanks for the update Chris.

#521706 - 03/10/18 07:18 PM Re: If Anyone Is A Praying Person.... [Re: Chris4TheMill]
Chris4TheMill Offline

Hi guys. Well, long story short....had another set-back at the doc's office yesterday. Got the latest Foley removed but I still am having problems. Have to go back on Monday to get more 'torture tests.' This time I am not insisting they put me out, we will use local anesthetic, but strong ones.

After yesterday's appt., we visited my dad in the nursing home. He is in worse shape than ever.

Also my health insurance runs out in less than 2 months and I have no good choices available. I've got all this and alot else going on that on paper looks lousy. But in general, I am in o.k. spirits and I will get through all this somehow. Since God hasn't taken me out of here yet, He must have some purpose for keeping me here.

Thanks to everyone for your support, PM's, prayers, or just a kind word. They always mean a lot.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris4TheMill (03/10/18 07:19 PM)

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.