Newest Members
tom93, ninjei, JollyRoger, AnonymousJerry, Golden_Phoenix
13510 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cathy26 (40), FurryGuy71 (46), Gary (38), Joel David (73), oblivion_yearner (37), Ryan (42), Sean O'Keeffe (53), Tommy dean (56)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,510 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,167 Topics
489,907 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#516408 - Today at 02:16 AM Does Google want to hide paedophilia?
Alonso Offline

Loc: Spain
I was googling a topic related to paedophilia and was most surprised by Google's automatic suggestions. If I write the letters "paedoph" in the search box, Google suggests "paedophryne amauensis" (which happens to be a frog from New Guinnea), "paedophobia", and even "paedophagy", but no signs of paedophilia at all. I'm pretty sure that there must be way more web searches for "paedophilia" than for little exotic Asian frogs with Latin names. This is weird.

The same happens with Yahoo search, which only suggests the cute little Asian frog. Bing, however, behaves as I would expect: As soon as you write the letters "paed" it includes "paedophile" in its suggestions, and if you add the o and the p ("paedop"), the word "paedophile" raises to the top of the list.

Any idea of the reason for this?

Note: I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this topic. I couldn't find other forum that seemed more suitable. If there is another forum which fits the topic better, please let me know or move it to the right forum.

Edited by Alonso (Today at 02:19 AM)

#516410 - Today at 02:26 AM Re: Does Google want to hide paedophilia? [Re: Alonso]
Ceremony Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Hi Alonso, I think you're running into the lexicon of spelling. I know that in the U.S. pedophilia uses just that e, and I did a quick check and it's pead... for the other. I understand the diphthong approach and we'll have to let go of the linguistic nature of the internet. At least Google has employed translation, which I find somewhat useful. Then again, I have sometimes needed to use my imagination to understand their translations. grin

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.