Newest Members
SuAn, Tranquil, smichael, bushydw, Teddyboy1969
13559 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BruisedSpirit (44), EyesWideOpen (44), Razor (38), roger (37)
Who's Online
5 registered (Giovanni, Guss, 3 invisible), 60 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,559 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,515 Topics
492,461 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#513719 - 07/24/17 03:48 PM Socratic Questioning
Hoss Offline

has anyone tried socratic questioning in relation to anxiety and/or ptsd issues? feedback is greatly appreciated
Tat Tvam Asi
Ahmi Yat Ahmi
Nuk Pu Nuk
All in all
You're not just a drop in the ocean. You're a whole ocean in a drop. - rumi
He who wishes to be greatest must be a friend to all.

#513723 - 07/24/17 04:19 PM Re: Socratic Questioning [Re: Hoss]
Ceremony Offline
Greeter

Loc: Minnesota
Do you mean in terms of talk therapy, where we're encouraged to counter victim thinking with positive affirmations? Do you mean in context of therapy, or group, friends, family or what safe environment where a survivor would consider some logical suggestive debate helpful?
This is the story of my rape, posted on MS:
http://www.discussion.malesurvivor.org/b...1680#Post501680

#513728 - 07/24/17 04:58 PM Re: Socratic Questioning [Re: Ceremony]
Hoss Offline

basically in any form, where the individual doesn't necessarily use it in a group setting, or individually. kind of like the idea of prayer. in prayer you ask a question and if you meditate, ponder on it then you eventually get the answer to the prayer. prayer literally means to ask. unfortunately most people forget the listening reaction to the action of prayer.

socratic questioning isn't really an affirmation as much as it's like the scientific method. person has a belief/hypothesis based on prior experiences. they test this belief/hypothesis to see if it matches reality. if it doesn't that proves to self that the belief is either wrong, or not valid at this time in space.

i believe most people who have problems of a psychological nature and not a physiological nature, have a contrast between their belief and reality. belief can be like knowledge without understanding. i can know of something but that doesn't mean i'm experiencing it at the moment. it's worrying about something that isn't present but possible.

i like the music.

in ancient times they used dioynisian mysteries to free the mind from the conditional state it had become attach to. many of the disenfranchised and marginalized found an outlet to their suppression. the mind is an amazing thing. it can be very, very resilient.

these orgies were not of the sexual nature.

kind of like nataraja dancing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysian_Mysteries

Edited by Hoss (07/24/17 05:06 PM)
Edit Reason: additional nature
Tat Tvam Asi
Ahmi Yat Ahmi
Nuk Pu Nuk
All in all
You're not just a drop in the ocean. You're a whole ocean in a drop. - rumi
He who wishes to be greatest must be a friend to all.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.