Newest Members
ECD, Surprise Ball, ImNewHere, smi317, Strangeways
13798 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeoDude (51), ger424 (51), peps (38), Philip (40), RememberingInMN (40), Turtle (47)
Who's Online
4 registered (Jack86, Strangeways, 2 invisible), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,798 Registered Members
75 Forums
71,816 Topics
501,562 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#511053 - 05/24/17 11:58 PM Re: Seventh Discussion Question: Applying research [Re: vsimiola]
SubtleStuff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North America
Yes, Hani Miletski's book (Mother-son Incest: The Unthinkable Broken Taboo) is strongly slanted towards research results. It was very helpful to my seeing that what happened to me was real and hurtful.

I've also used research results to prepare to present my case to local support agencies for the need for a local support group for male survivors.
A friend is one with whom I can pour out my heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will sift it, connect with me with care, support what is healthy, and with a breath of kindness, blow away the rest. Thanks for being friends, guys :-) (Inspired by Dinah Craik).

#513541 - 07/20/17 12:31 PM Re: Seventh Discussion Question: Applying research [Re: vsimiola]
Ceremony Offline
Greeter

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By vsimiola
Do you ever make use of research findings in your life? If so, how?

I read "The Body Keeps the Score" and found from Bessel Van Der Kolk, M.D. that as of the printing of my edition Copyright 2014, printed 2015 That his assessment of the DSM and those leaving out complex ptsd have continued to leave it out? It's a purchased and profitable publication for that company. I don't understand the motivation to exclude C-ptsd? There is plenty of research to support its inclusion.

Can you confirm; will you confirm, and will you tell me either way--- Here on MS?

#513585 - 07/21/17 12:10 PM Re: Seventh Discussion Question: Applying research [Re: vsimiola]
Ceremony Offline
Greeter

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By vsimiola
Do you ever make use of research findings in your life? If so, how?
I have answered my own question and the DSM V and supplements still ignore the well established research results by the ACE team and many others who recognize DTD, Developmental Trauma Disorder. I think this is tragic and poor leadership by the APA DSM committee. The review of the process noted by Bessel Van Der Kolk notes outright dismissal without regard for submissions of research. Heady and aggravating information from the perspective of a survivor. Whether there's agreement from this Yale research group or not, the impact prevails. We are still neglected and mislabeled. Though advocates of the DTD have a strong base, the impact of leaving it out of the DSM creates exacerbating circumstances.

Need I explain to Yale researchers? I doubt it.

In comments Roland responds that as of June, 2017 the DSM still dismisses DTD

#513603 - 07/21/17 04:23 PM Re: Seventh Discussion Question: Applying research [Re: vsimiola]
MACH123 Offline

Yes in that I took Statistics I&II as part of my undergrad degree and it was something I actually understood and enjoyed. The study of demographic data on different populations is fascinating and most people don't want to know. Do you have any idea what they can figure out about you just by checking the data on your membership card at the supermarket? Populations or sample broken down by whatever you want. Generates the bell shaped curve. So for instance if you want to know who they think you are while you are watching your favorite TV show just look at the ads. They know who's watching.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND at the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.