Newest Members
jake1985, cactus8, Neil Benesh, blazzeee, mmm coffee
13531 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (46), omrfople (41), zookeeper (54)
Who's Online
2 registered (Ceremony, 1 invisible), 64 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,531 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,387 Topics
491,554 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#510594 - 05/17/17 07:35 PM Complex PTSD?
Chris4TheMill Offline

Loc: NY / NJ Area
Hi all,

I am new to the forum. Have been looking for someone in my area (NY/NJ area) who treats Complex PTSD but I have found out that "Complex PTSD" is not recognized in the DSM manual, and so few doctors or therapists know what it is much less diagnose it.

I believe however that it is a very real issue and that it is different from the kind of PTSD that usually affects combat vets and other survivors of war-torn countries, etc.

I have been searching online but very few therapists mention it in their profiles or on their websites. I don't want to waste time or money with someone who says they treat it but doesn't really know what it is.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or any advice on how to find the right person to treat this condition?

Thanks.

#510596 - 05/17/17 07:47 PM Re: Complex PTSD? [Re: Chris4TheMill]
Ceremony Online   confused
Greeter

Loc: Minnesota
I did a search and found what I now know I would be looking for. I hope this helps. I hope this link will show you the listing for L. Anderson. I know nothing about the person. I'm looking at the "Specialty Areas".

I spent a while looking for a therapist too. My insurance was very prohibitive and I had to settle for a sex therapist who knew trauma related need. It was not the way I intended to go. The new one I found was through referral and took about 3 months trying to find her. Everything I've hoped.

Adding: Let me add, I emailed therapists out of the blue, cold calling. I gave them what I thought was my situation and waited. Everyone responded. All of them polite, and helpful as they had means to be. To me, they're connected, so one might know some that are right in your area.

Edited by Ceremony (05/17/17 07:50 PM)

#510600 - 05/17/17 08:35 PM Re: Complex PTSD? [Re: Chris4TheMill]
Chris4TheMill Offline

Loc: NY / NJ Area
Wow, Ceremony, thank you so much for this! There are actually quite a few choices in my area that look promising. My next task will be to go through them all and see if any will take my insurance.

After that, I like to look at reviews from clients, if available. Still, there is a lot of information to mine here. I will start working through the list.

That is also a good recommend about contacting them. I have hesitated to do much of that because I thought I'd get a sales pitch and then waste time and money with someone who is not the right fit. But that is just me being cynical...like you said, it is likely they will just want to help and could even refer me to someone else.

Thanks again!

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.