Newest Members
ahsanmajid, fox, Unbreakable92, jewelgirl50, SadButSoTrue
13432 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Boboy (39), MrEdd (55)
Who's Online
4 registered (traveler, Ceremony, nomad510, 1 invisible), 68 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,432 Registered Members
75 Forums
69,671 Topics
486,245 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#510040 - 05/04/17 09:43 PM Deliverance
HowardCosell1990 Offline

This is the most famous media representation of male adult sexual violence and survivorhood, yet so much literature about it attacks the film. I suppose because people who can't relate to survivors often make fun of Ned Beatty's character and shout "Squeal like a piggy!" I do agree that many get the film wrong - no doubting that. I think James Dickey - the author - was trying to show that sexual violence can happen to men, and remember, the heroes end up killing one (or maybe both) of the hillbillies. They are delivered from evil - they survive, remaining friends and making their way back to Atlanta. I am not personally offended by this film, being a male survivor. I think it can be empowering and educational, but only if looked at the right way. 45 years later, many do not interpret it correctly. What do you guys think?

Edited by HowardCosell1990 (05/04/17 09:47 PM)

#510044 - 05/04/17 11:25 PM Re: Deliverance [Re: HowardCosell1990]
Ceremony Online   confused

Loc: Minnesota
That scene always messed with me, the killing of the 2 perps satisfied me. I don't know what it's like to have buddies like that, and it seemed unreal to me. It's always like that when I see any movie with buddies. How did they come to be, and how do they stay that way? I do know, if someone stays in a neighborhood and school long enough, sure enough, there's at least a chance for those kind of connections. Seems to me, school or college brings most long term relationships between guys. Maybe next would be work or a club? I don't know any of them. Not a clue.

So, I have seen that movie maybe 3 times? I just want to get to those a-holes gettin' killed. Vengeance. I see that's not too cool, so, Maybe I shouldn't write that? 2 strangers got me, and that Burt shot the one with an arrow, and was the other shot? Who cares, I projected Burt got 'em for me. I don't know it very clearly, the last viewing was maybe 10 yrs ago?

What do you relate to?
a collection of things,
a panoply not rare.
https://youtu.be/6nQc1ADbWLA
This is the story of my rape, posted on MS:
http://www.discussion.malesurvivor.org/b...1680#Post501680

#510047 - 05/05/17 01:00 AM Re: Deliverance [Re: HowardCosell1990]
Tom E. Offline

Loc: FL
I don't think I'd want to watch that rape scene again, no.
I hate that stupid well-known sound bite. When I saw that movie so many years ago I think I remember being very uncomfortable with that scene... and it was before I'd figured out that I had been abused...it was also before my last frightening encounter sexually. So, no way will I watch that again.

#510664 - 05/18/17 03:20 PM Re: Deliverance [Re: HowardCosell1990]
Chris4TheMill Offline

Loc: NY / NJ Area
I grew up when that film came out, and was always dismayed at the way that scene was received. As you mentioned, people watched it and in their nervousness and immaturity chose to tease Ned Beatty. He was very brave to do that scene, but it cost him at the time. America at the time just couldn't handle it. The question is, how much farther have we come since then? That would be a good discussion to have.

I am therefore not sure if the film could be re-examined positively, given the amount of baggage and history it has. However, that doesn't mean that another film can't come along that totally opens the topic up to much greater understanding for male victims. I long to see that happen. I think You Tube helps; there are some brave guys on there talking about their experiences. Beyond that, it might just take more and more brave men refusing to be silent, even if what they say isn't received well initially. Eventually the world is going to have to come to terms with this issue and as a culture we are going to have to begin talking about it in new ways and get over the hang-ups and stereotypes.

#510808 - 05/21/17 12:03 PM Re: Deliverance [Re: HowardCosell1990]
Chase Eric Offline

I first saw this movie on TV when I was a kid, and it was surprisingly unedited. It recently was broadcast on a cable channel here and it affected me so profoundly that I actually looked up the actors who played the two "hillbillies" in the hope of connecting a reaffirming humanity to them that would belie the evil in the characters they played. Maybe that's a way of essentially waking myself up from a bad nightmare and realizing it was just a dream.

There was a YouTube interview with the man that played the taller attacker who initially escaped Reynold's crossbow. He had a pet squirrel and there was a gentleness and love in his interaction with this little creature. I don't know why that made me feel better. Intellectually I know in the film he was just acting, but I admit that the interview helped my heart and emotions find a more comforting perspective.

With enough real terror and sociopathic meanness in the world, at least I could categorize this one as just "acting" and separate myself from it emotionally. It reminded me of why I avoid gory and violent movies in general; there is enough ugliness in the world and on the news every day that I feel no visceral need - or even the slightest curiosity - to see it play-acted in front of me.

#510820 - 05/21/17 09:03 PM Re: Deliverance [Re: HowardCosell1990]
bluesky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
When I saw that movie as a kid I couldn't take it. It was so terrible to see and hear. It left me feeling helpless and angry. I remember feeling so much shame and fear. I kind of forgot that they killed the perps. It must have been retraumatized I remember being scared to go to sleep for a while but I was always scared.
One of the perps that abused raped and tourchered me was very belittling and some how that move made it worse because then I understood that the the perps where every where and no one not even an adult is safe. Just like they said they would kill me and my family so it messed with my head. I'm kind of slipping so I got to stop.

Edited by bluesky (05/23/17 06:05 PM)

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
Frank Herbert

#511363 - 05/30/17 11:57 PM Re: Deliverance [Re: HowardCosell1990]
30something Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast
(((((bluesky)))))

#511439 - 06/01/17 06:59 AM Re: Deliverance [Re: HowardCosell1990]
George Offline

Loc: NY metro **PM's are welcomed
I first saw it when I was in fifth grade on cable tv, with my cousins at the house of my abuser, talk about uncomfortable. For me the abuse was in full swing when I saw it and I was already long dripping in shame.

All the joking & ridicule about that scene there and at school further reinforced my shame. I could certainly identify with Ned Beatty's character back then. I too liked watching the vengeance scenes in the recent past.

This movie & Ode TO Billy Joe both brought up the issue early on in my life, while both made it known that these things happen, as a kid I still felt that I was the only one. I was way too young to comprehend what was going on in and around me and seeing the movies at that time didn't help me.

https://bristleconeproject.org/men/gino-werner/

#511501 - 06/02/17 09:16 AM Re: Deliverance [Re: HowardCosell1990]
Chris4TheMill Offline

Loc: NY / NJ Area
George - Yes, I remember "Ode To Billy Joe" very well.
I liked the romance part of the movie and would fantasize about meeting a girl like the Glynnis O'Connor character.
I never met anyone like her and thought she was like an angel.

My male-on-male abuse had mostly gone on prior to that, and I was so brainwashed and sexualized by then that I made no connection between my experiences and what we saw in the movie.

Instead, I was depressed that the Robby Benson character killed himself over one incident, and I didn't understand why he reacted so strongly.
I thought, "What' s the big deal? Why are you so upset?"
I couldn't believe he gave up this great girl who obviously loved him and thought, what a waste, I would have traded places with you any day.

So, yes, like you, seeing any of these movies back then really did nothing to help me process my own abuse at the time.
I didn't recognize my situation as abuse until many years later. And I didn't begin to realize it's full effects until recently actually.

#511514 - 06/02/17 02:41 PM Re: Deliverance [Re: HowardCosell1990]
George Offline

Loc: NY metro **PM's are welcomed

Hi Chris,

Yeah, as a kid I was perplexed too as to why he killed himself. I was like, am *I* missing something? But as an adult I realize everyone is different as to their tolerance of adversity & trauma.

While I never forgot the abuse, I was still in denial about it. I denied that it was "abuse", or that it meant something, and that it hadn't affected me majorly. It wasn't till I was 31 did that denial shatter.

I had bought that movie years ago to watch again as part of my healing journey, I ended up throwing it out after watching it, as it was too depressing even for me. Now I wish I kept it to see if anything with me changed, to see it in a different way.

https://bristleconeproject.org/men/gino-werner/

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.