Newest Members
jonn, Caine, Mark005, spartan2123, 4n0n
13355 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Erik1972 (45), IFEMan (52), Janie101 (51), Janiepie (51), jefhol (46), lonelyboy (32), ncnyc (52)
Who's Online
6 registered (Bluedogone, Shyshark, 4 invisible), 63 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,355 Registered Members
76 Forums
69,246 Topics
482,222 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#507588 - 03/12/17 08:10 AM bodywork movement stuff that helps
focusedbody Offline

Loc: NY
Hi.

If anyone would like to share some information on what kinds of bodywork are helpful, it would be good to hear about them.

I also have some gentle exercises aimed at building awareness that seem to have kept me in a good place, and would be happy to see if they are relevant to others as well.

Thanks,

FB

#507838 - 03/18/17 07:47 PM Re: bodywork movement stuff that helps [Re: focusedbody]
LinEar Offline

Loc: USA
Bodywork I've found helpful:

Professional:
Craniosacral therapy.

Self/gentle:
Focused/paced breathing. I like this Android app, set to 5 second intervals of inhalation/exhalation: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apps.paced.breathing

I like to do the paced breathing sitting up in a chair in the yoga lotus pose (bonus points if you can cross your legs as in the pose; if not, feet flat on the floor in a normal seated position is great too), or when laying in bed.

This pose is also good for paced breathing as it really opens up the chest/shoulders and makes it easier to breathe deeply from low in your gut: http://myfiveminuteyoga.com/633/five-minute-yoga-challenge-reverse-the-curve/ It may be difficult for some, as it does increase feelings of vulnerability for me.

Even a few minutes of paced breathing can be helpful; I try to do it twice a day for 10-12 minutes each time, when I stick to it. It's amazing how much the fight-or-flight response causes us to breathe in a shallow way, hold our breath, breathe irregularly, etc. without us even realizing it. I find that paced breathing helps with mindfulness/centering. And be gently forewarned that it can definitely provoke an emotional response, since it is self-focused and helps me to get a better handle on what I'm really feeling at a given moment.

FB I'd be interested to hear about some of your gentle exercises as well.

My silence is my self-defense.

#508174 - 03/27/17 01:05 PM Re: bodywork movement stuff that helps [Re: focusedbody]
focusedbody Offline

Loc: NY
Linear:

Yes, this is a very effective exercise.

I'm wondering if you have combined it with anything else, as part of the article suggests trying also.

FB

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.