Newest Members
Mark005, spartan2123, 4n0n, brad1928, Hopefulforpeace
13353 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
babybear (37), Irishox (39), johnnymike (61), tidtus (56)
Who's Online
1 registered (Shyshark), 62 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,353 Registered Members
76 Forums
69,221 Topics
482,063 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#507279 - 03/03/17 08:52 AM Go back to mental health inpatient program at VA?
MojaveMike Offline

Loc: New Mexico USA
I am considering asking to go back into the inpatient program at the VA. I was inpatient for over a year at my VA Hospital in the STARR and PRRTP programs. I was surprised to feel a sense of camaraderie with the guys in the program-even though most of them were combat veterans. I found that the PTSD issues they dealt with were similar to my own. I have put in a great deal of effort since graduating the program yet still find it difficult to get through the day. Have any of you guys gone inpatient at the VA? What did you think of the program?

#507292 - 03/03/17 12:15 PM Re: Go back to mental health inpatient program at VA? [Re: MojaveMike]
Ceremony Online   confused

Loc: Minnesota
I'm not sure of Vet services, because I'm not a Vet. Thank you for serving. What I do know is what I've read here and there. Recently, during my research of EMDR, I discovered EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Programs

What I learned for myself, is that EMDR helps to calm the emotional responses to our trauma. That then gives us more ability to manage the healing process. I'm still waiting for EMDR, and am not sure when it will happen, but if the program link helps you find the resource, that would be good. It takes being ready to do EMDR though, and that isn't always apparent on our own. Working with a therapist who does EMDR, and who knows when the ptsd patient is ready is the best method to go about it.

This link is to states that have HAP work to help Vets

#507322 - 03/04/17 12:08 AM Re: Go back to mental health inpatient program at VA? [Re: MojaveMike]
MojaveMike Offline

Loc: New Mexico USA
I have heard a great deal about EMDR. I know it is proven science and effective. Yet it still seems strange to me-I don't understand how or why it works.

#507331 - 03/04/17 06:46 AM Re: Go back to mental health inpatient program at VA? [Re: MojaveMike]
Ceremony Online   confused

Loc: Minnesota
I think a good EMDR therapist could explain it best, but the bit that I read which made sense to me, is it synchs up the 2 sides of our brain. That's something that makes sense to me, the stuff that I learned about the brain having logical and creative sides could mean we lost some of the ability to process things? And when I read how rapid eye movement, is simulating REM sleep, it makes more sense to me. I know I've seemed to have lost the ability to dream, and that sleep deprivation probably the cause.

I'm thinking about this for myself, but it just seems logical that if I'm not slept well for decades, don't dream (my perception) and been diagnosed with ptsd from the trauma...? Well, with all the symptoms I have, my research showing those symptoms calm, I really want that, badly! So, I'm very motivated, but money insecure. I've been looking for a trainee to be their subject. It's not going well.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.