Newest Members
cactus8, Neil Benesh, blazzeee, mmm coffee, Calibre09
13530 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Asmodeus (34), comeath3 (78), Poo (53), Roy (56), Skeeter (58), tazrad (46), Treehugger75 (42), waterworld (56)
Who's Online
2 registered (UniversalBeing, 1 invisible), 67 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,530 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,382 Topics
491,509 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#479024 - 03/15/15 02:07 AM VA is lost
gramps=53 Offline

Loc: USA
after 30 years I told a Psychologist with the VA what happened to me on active duty and then she ask how was my childhood. so I told her because I felt safe telling her. after I was done telling her she sent me to someone else and I don't fell the same toward her. then I asked if there was a group or something and I was left out in the dark. called the DOD and the DOJ and was told that they cant do anything about what the VA does. I am to call my patient advocate. I don't fell safe telling someone else what's going on. so much for filling safe and getting support that I was told I would get. what now???

#492372 - 12/11/15 05:10 PM Re: VA is lost [Re: gramps=53]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
The VA has MST counseling at most VA Medical centers

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#492389 - 12/12/15 12:03 AM Re: VA is lost [Re: gramps=53]
Banjo596 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Don't give up!

#493329 - 01/02/16 11:56 AM Re: VA is lost [Re: gramps=53]
LilacLouie Offline

Loc: Utah
I know from my own personal experience that the VA is totally fubar'd.

When I have flashbacks, the VA VetLine won't talk to me unless it is combat related, and there have been a few times I was accused of violating the "stolen valor act". I'm like, "Ok, charge me, dawg. I dare ya." Because I know where I've been and what I've done and I have documents to back everything I say up.

The VA has a lot of people there that have little real-life training. Almost like they were born yesterday.

#495353 - 02/13/16 08:29 AM Re: VA is lost [Re: gramps=53]
Luckylarry1 Offline

Loc: Indiana and Florida
OMG, thanks guys! I began to feel that I was the only man who had these struggles.
Upon the cusp of blowing my third marriage I sought out help...for what I had no conscious idea, but somehow it had something to do with my 3 tours of helicopter duty in Vietnam. My first counselor from VA hadn't a clue of what I was trying to discover about myself and my abnormal anger and outrage against anyone who I couldn't control. Once I mutter the words of MST (military sexual trauma) I was referred to an "outside" counselor as I must have latent homosexual fantacies. Fuck!
I did get my VA ID as I was a "boots on the ground" vet. About a year later I called an outpost VA treatment center, and I was hooked up with another counselor at an outpost center.
In dealing with her for one year or so, and I completed every assignment that she gave me, finally I could tell her that I had been raped by an officer. Finally I could let that cat out of the bag.
I continued to work with her weekly for another 6 months. She identified my extreme PTSD for MST and recommended me to the Ft Thomas KY trauma center. She was a vet and I suspect had a similar experience.
The Trauma Center had an excellent program called CPT (cognitive process training). I graduated from that program, and not even close to being "good", but I now have some tools to deal with my flask-backs and night terrors of being raped aboard ship in the Gulf of Tonkin.
My wife is beginning that I do have some issues about how I identify myself and where I have been.
Gramps, I am 67 yrs. old and have masked myself for 48 years, two blown marriages, inability to work closely with men, angry at any authority figure, great financial losses and real concerns if I was weird, latently homosexual, just friggin nuts or whatever.
I tell you this as my offering that there is help our there, if you can find it....sure ain't easy.
I now long for similar male dialog about this unique, but common issue.
Larry

#506918 - 02/23/17 12:16 PM Re: VA is lost [Re: gramps=53]
MojaveMike Offline

Loc: New Mexico USA
The VA has some pretty good inpatient programs for male MST developed in the last few years. There is one in Bay Pines VA in Florida and one in a VA in Wyoming-I think Sheridan.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.