Newest Members
jonn, Caine, Mark005, spartan2123, 4n0n
13355 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Erik1972 (45), IFEMan (52), Janie101 (51), Janiepie (51), jefhol (46), lonelyboy (32), ncnyc (52)
Who's Online
5 registered (traveler, md4e, 3 invisible), 60 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,355 Registered Members
76 Forums
69,246 Topics
482,219 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#504495 - 11/30/16 05:20 PM treatment while in military
Chewy Offline

Has anyone gone through treatment while still in the military, Active Duty or other? I have recently admitted the trauma related to my past experiences, and have to go through a referral appointment. Am worried it will keep me from any kind of deployment or other TDY opportunities. Any advice would be appreciated.

#504499 - 11/30/16 09:06 PM Re: treatment while in military [Re: Chewy]
iaccus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
I'm afraid that I just buried my csa during my 15 years of active duty. I hope they do right by you. good luck brother!

#504500 - 11/30/16 09:43 PM Re: treatment while in military [Re: Chewy]
I Want 2 Thrive Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida, U.S.A
Chewy,
My therapy was off base and out of my own pocket. The Air Force mental health services were a bit odd. Unless things have changed, and I hope they have. I was told counselling was only available to me for 12 months. Beyond that point I would have to go before the medical review board every 90 days to ensure I was in fact worldwide deployable. Service provided long term therapy was not available or encouraged back in the 80's & 90's.

I encourage seeking help, but be careful.

"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind" C.S. Lewis

#504738 - 12/12/16 11:58 AM Re: treatment while in military [Re: Chewy]
I Want 2 Thrive Offline
MaleSurvivor

Any updates? How is it going Chewy?

#504755 - 12/13/16 03:09 AM Re: treatment while in military [Re: Chewy]
Chewy Offline

Hey Izzy, thanks for asking. I have a referral appt first week of January to see if I'm deployable. Have been working with a therapist off base focusing on neuropsych feedback, since in addition to my flashbacks, I had a TBI incident this past year that occurred after the worst of the flashbacks... been rough, to say the least. I have mixed feelings about staying in the military. Will keep y'all posted.

#504791 - 12/13/16 04:00 PM Re: treatment while in military [Re: Chewy]
I Want 2 Thrive Offline
MaleSurvivor

Think long about leaving the military. I do not know your situation. I was fortunate. My Operations Director (DO) cared for my career more than I did. I was so screwed up I almost did not re-enlist. It was the Major who confronted me on my alcohol use. He thought it was related to a bad unfortunate shooting incident in Honduras. In a round about way he was correct, that was the "trigger" event for my dealing with my CSA. I was lucky, he was a psychology major in college. He got the unit commander to ground me on his command authority for a couple months.

My DO also realized he was over his head and referred me to his Reverend who did have SOME background in CSA. It took time but therapy does help.

#504915 - 12/17/16 07:51 PM Re: treatment while in military [Re: Chewy]
Bluedogone Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southern US
Best of luck with your January appointment.

I would echo what has already been posted. Be very careful as you thread your way through this.

Hopefully there's a world of difference now than in the '60's. I had a friend who was a recruiting officer who had some sessions. The CO recommended him for treatment, and he personally told me they had helped him a lot. I seriously considered seeking some treatment, but suddenly (or maybe not so suddenly) he had been discharged with a Section 8, and I decided if that was his outcome, I could fake it a few more years. I had a good bit of experience with faking it.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.