Newest Members
meekness, jake1985, cactus8, Neil Benesh, blazzeee
13532 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (47), Dupe1978 (39), James_Is_Talking (39), K-man (61), LordShiningStarr (39), ricky (54), Shawn Hope (32), teresa (45), Warner82 (35)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,532 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,391 Topics
491,574 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#493002 - 12/27/15 01:46 PM Medication.Therapy..Environment
Tryingtolive Offline

When is it okay to try medication?

I always been against medication just paranoid to how I would react to it.

I haven't been diagnosed with any mental condition but I know I suffer from some sort of anxiety disorder.

Has anyone tried therapy with out medication?

I'm considering medication cause Im still in the environment and with the abuser. Which makes the healing process a lot more difficult. I wanted to just try therapy but I don't think I can go to therapy and be living with my abuser. I suffered (sibling incest)

So I've considered medication is my only option at this point.
Cause the symptoms of abuse has taken my life.

It's very hard as a survivor living where the abuse took place. Living with the abuser.
And on top of that seeking help. I've been loosing my shit the pass couple of months. Flash backs and just a lot of reflecting.

Symptoms of ptsd.

Do you guys think it's even possible to heal in the environment I'm in.

My situation is very complex and always has been. If you have any suggestions please let me know

Maybe once I get on medication I won't mind seeing a therapist but it's just very hard with the environment I'm in

#493009 - 12/27/15 09:33 PM Re: Medication.Therapy..Environment [Re: Tryingtolive]
Sterling Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada
Have you ever thought of relocating, moving somewhere else?
I would be triggered all the time; being around a person
who abused me.
Please think of this as an option.
Say you get Ativan ; a drug to treat anxiety.

Im at home , I am washing the dishes , suddenly my sibling
comes home.
My heartrate might go up. I may need to get some air.
Please think of living somewhere.
I think you might be able to focus on your healing
(THAT YOU DESERVE) and be around people who care.
You deserve to have recovery. Full-Recovery!
If you around a person who gets in the way of you healing....
you will not get what you desperately need.
Please think about this.
I wish I could find you a therapist who you would connect with.
Find ways, places to vent ; such as a drop-in counselling.
I don't know where you live...find ways where people listen
to you. - like here MS.
Hopefully you can find a place and then focus on enjoying
your life, your company and not have to be interrupted by
a person who did this shit to you!
YOu deserve better!
I am repeating my self and am sorry.
Sorry you are going thru this Tryingtolive.
Private Message me any time!

TAke care,
James

#493090 - 12/29/15 05:05 PM Re: Medication.Therapy..Environment [Re: Tryingtolive]
Blue__Bird Offline

Trying to live, Sterling is right. I know it's none of our business and people have their own reasons to live the way they do, but probably moving out and stopping to see the abuser sibling will help you greatly. Just a thought for your peace of mind.

About medication, have you ever considered alternative therapy? Such as essential oils for the anxiety and ptsd symptoms. They work and you do not have to have a rx.

Edited by Blue__Bird (12/29/15 05:16 PM)

#493092 - 12/29/15 06:57 PM Re: Medication.Therapy..Environment [Re: Tryingtolive]
Tryingtolive Offline

I've considered meditation but haven't really given it a shot yet. I never heared of oils for anxiety.
I've only been considering medication cause my situation is very complex. But I'm really nervous cause I'm afraid I'll become addicted to any sort of medication and I will no longer feel in control

#493094 - 12/29/15 07:27 PM Re: Medication.Therapy..Environment [Re: Tryingtolive]
Blue__Bird Offline

That's one of the benefits of natural medicine, you won't lose control or get addicted to it. Do some research or I could help if you want.

Just doing some research for you I found some interesting stuff. I may even try some for apathy and depression, as I have only been using oils for anxiety and pain management.

Edited by Blue__Bird (12/29/15 07:57 PM)

#493225 - 12/31/15 07:50 PM Re: Medication.Therapy..Environment [Re: Tryingtolive]
Nothing Man Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
TTL, I have been on a cocktail of antidepressants for about ten years now. I am not dependent upon them and they have helped with a lot of my anxiety and depressive symptoms. That's not to say the symptoms have gone away; rather, the meds seem to take a lot of the edge off. I'm glad I'm taking them.

#493237 - 12/31/15 09:15 PM Re: Medication.Therapy..Environment [Re: Tryingtolive]
Tryingtolive Offline

@nothing do you think you could ever stop taking them. I would love to try them but very afraid of how I would react

I'm considering them just cause my situation is very hard to cope

Edited by Tryingtolive (12/31/15 09:15 PM)

#493292 - 01/01/16 02:46 PM Re: Medication.Therapy..Environment [Re: Tryingtolive]
Nothing Man Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Hi TTL.

I took the antidepressants for several years before I got sober. They helped some. After I had been sober about six months or so I (falsely) decided that since I was no longer flooding my body with a depressant, e.g. alcohol, I no longer needed the antidepressants. A couple months off them convinced me that I needed to be back on them. Some folks take them for awhile and then don't need them anymore; I am one of those who has chronic major depression so I will probably be on them for the rest of my life. But I look at this as a small price to pay to alleviate so much of the pain of living.

I hope this helps. Please take good care of yourself.

Mike

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.