Newest Members
JamesHere, hamani, bryn89, Jack86, briopiuh
13780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (48), eagle299 (47), H18 (25), JJJ (47), mariposaman (67), SevenTwoTwo76 (43), TexAgMan (41), waiter (48), wgwarch (59)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,780 Registered Members
75 Forums
71,700 Topics
500,769 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#476521 - 02/02/15 11:30 PM Re: Every Day Mindfulness [Re: bluesky]
bluesky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
In the past 24 hours I was in three situations where I could either choose to think there must be some kind of conspiracy to play with my mind or choose to be present and able to respond in an appropriate way with out making things personal. Even in the face of insults and accusation. Staying in the moment breathing and realizing that compassion for my self and others would be the right choice. It was truly not so easy but feels good to be able to hold on and let the words of others just pass by like the clouds in the sky.
Bluesky

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
Frank Herbert

#476608 - 02/04/15 08:53 PM Re: Every Day Mindfulness [Re: bluesky]
gettingstronger Offline

Loc: Virginia
Lately, I've been waking up around 4:00 am. I love the quiet-- the wife, daughter and pets are sleeping (except my cat, who rubs against my legs like she hasn't seen me in a year.) I stand in the kitchen and look out at the moon through the picture window as it disappears into the lake behind the house.

The shades of deep blue are stunning. The kitchen faces east, so the sunrise comes up on the other side of the house. While the moon is slowly merging into the rippling water, the sky is still the color of indigo. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying a quiet cup of coffee, just me and a terribly spoiled little tortoise-shell cat. Then I might head back up to bed, coffee in hand, and quietly slip back into bed. Just me, a still-sleeping wife, our pets, and my thoughts. And peace.

That's my mindfulness. At least for now....

Bob

#476627 - 02/05/15 08:21 AM Re: Every Day Mindfulness [Re: bluesky]
JW1230 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I attend a weekly mindfulness meditation group, but quite frankly the best practice that I have staying present is to use my dog as my role model. I watch him and how he deals with stuff that comes up for him. He doesn't dwell on the past or worry about the future. Everything is about the NOW for him. He gets upset, but doesn't hold on to grudges when he is annoyed with me. He just exists in the moment because HE understands that that is all we really have.

John

#476649 - 02/05/15 04:13 PM Re: Every Day Mindfulness [Re: bluesky]
bluesky Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am not in this moment. But just realizing that is the beginning of being present.
Bluesky.

Only I will remain."
Frank Herbert

#476689 - 02/06/15 03:28 AM Re: Every Day Mindfulness [Re: bluesky]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: resettling in NE Ohio
i am not sure that i can accurately describe this - or even that it is a true example of mindfulness, but i will try.

when i am attempting to create a piece of artwork, there is a process that i go through - not entirely conscious nor unconscious - but perhaps a blend of both or transition from one to the other.

at first i can be intensely self-conscious - to the point of feeling awkward and uncomfortable and as though i need to get past an invisible and internal barrier in order to achieve good work. the more aware i am of my self - my thoughts, my feelings, my actions and reactions, the less authentic and the more stilted and artificial my product is going to be.

but i have to forge ahead and try to get over or past my self and to experience and identify with the subject of the drawing or painting. to observe the proportions and lines and curves and textures and colors and tones and contrasts. to strive to capture the essence of the subject or at least my perception of its appearance and therefore my version of the reality.

when i succeed in accomplishing that it is because i identify so closely with the subject and with my work that it is like a (excuse the inappropriate image - but i can't think of any other that quite fits) three-way sexual encounter in which all participants are equally fulfilled (not that i have experienced this - but imagine it as the "idealized" fantasy seems to go.) the subject - model or landscape or still life or whatever - and my work on canvas or paper - and my eye and hand and brain all seems to be in perfect harmony, collaboration, balance and equality, all participating and un-consciously or un-self-consciously contributing to the final effect. i become totally absorbed and am taken out of my self and become one with the subject and the art.

somewhere in that continuum, there is a point where mindfulness exists for a fleeting or more prolonged period and then gives way to something more transcendent and instinctive and focused where i cease to exist as a self-conscious entity and am in a symbiotic relationship with the enclosed environment of the subject and my portrayal of it. i don't understand it - and it is one of those things that if you try to accomplish it, it doesn't work - you have to forget about "how" it is done and put the subject first and let your art as a process or an object become secondary and relegate your self to third place - or it doesn't happen. a paradox - but a highly satisfying one when it all comes together and "works."

Lee

Edited by traveler (02/06/15 03:35 AM)

#476714 - 02/06/15 12:19 PM Re: Every Day Mindfulness [Re: bluesky]
txb Offline

I've tried on and off to do mindfulness stuff, but I'm not the best at it. Lately I've been pretty happy and I've been trying to just enjoy the experience of being happy... but I think mindfulness might be more about not labelling your feelings... or something like that?? This probably doesn't count, but last night I watched this kids movie called The Box Trolls. I felt like I was about 6 again. I forgot what it was like to be totally captivated in a story of bad guys and good guys. And of course the good guys win.

#476772 - 02/07/15 08:25 PM Re: Every Day Mindfulness [Re: bluesky]
bluesky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thich Nhat Hanh - The Art of Mindful Living

Bluesky

Only I will remain."
Frank Herbert

#476776 - 02/08/15 12:32 AM Re: Every Day Mindfulness [Re: bluesky]
GentleSoul Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: San Diego
Every day i take my dog to a dog park early in the morning. I cherish these moments where i can see and feel the dawn of a new day. I try to take in as much as i can with my senses with the crisp morning air, the smell of the moist green grass, the birds chirping carelessly away, and my dog sniffing and peeing aimlessly while he plays joyously with other small dogs he sees coming and going. It's intriguing to see owners mingling, socializing, and watching their dog's play; as if their inner children were playing with each other. I treasure these moments knowing life is short and my dog is not going to be with me forever.

#477325 - 02/16/15 07:15 AM Re: Every Day Mindfulness [Re: bluesky]
Bardo Offline

First, Lee: I am never so much in the moment as when I paint. Not, as you say, at first, when I am working my way through the self-conscious period when the mind gets in the way of the brush or pencil. But on a good day, at some point, I lose track of the time and the place and become one with the paint, the medium, the brush and the canvas. Just working, in and out, up and down, pushing the paint around or sweeping it across a plane. Bringing light, giving shadow, glazing my love and emotion over the pigments gleaned from the good earth and ground into paste and crammed into these impossible metal toothpaste tubes which lie scattered over my table rolled, crushed and deformed as I squeeze the very last drop of that particular hue, value, chroma because that is EXACTLY the one I need for this space over HERE.

These days, I am ever mindful of my children. They are in their last couple of years under my roof, growing into the adults they will be. I find myself breathlessly watching them as they work at their desks, so focused. I watch them as they sleep sometimes, like I did when they were little. I watch them when they swim or run and I see them reaching for something, a goal or objective. I lose myself in these moments of my children's lives. Time stops, and love pervades.
As the battles raged higher

And though we were hurt so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms

-Mark Knopfler

#477731 - 02/22/15 11:16 AM Re: Every Day Mindfulness [Re: Bardo]
bluesky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Bardo

I lose myself in these moments of my children's lives. Time stops, and love pervades.

This is I believe an example of true mindfulness being in the moment lost to all other moments. when we are lost in this moment and dead to all others we are truly alive, living in the now, not lost in the past or seeking the future. Thanks for sharing your life with us all thank to all that are sharing life with us.
Bluesky

Only I will remain."
Frank Herbert

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND at the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.