Newest Members
Belmore, WaJoKo, eartherncuppatea, jakesweden, JugglingDave
13843 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Cherub (46), Wolf71 (47)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,843 Registered Members
75 Forums
72,048 Topics
503,510 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#471166 - 10/13/14 01:49 AM Where is God in the Midst of the Suffering?
Coach Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California

I'm going to be facilitating a Bible study on the topic of, "Where is God in the Midst of Suffering caused by evil abuse?" I don't think it is an unreasonable thought to think that God abandons those in the midst of their suffering as he did with his own son on the cross. However and perhaps, I think the greater question is, "How does God or does God redeem the soul that he has abandoned?"

Thoughts, concerns?

#471174 - 10/13/14 10:21 AM Re: Where is God in the Midst of the Suffering? [Re: Coach]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central PA
I think a careful study will show that God has promised to NEVER leave of forsake those who belong to Him. There are many verses and passages to support that claim.

There are various lines of thought in regard to what occurred on the Cross, but no matter what line of thought one takes, that was a very specifically event with one very specific purpose and objective in mind.

#471175 - 10/13/14 10:30 AM Re: Where is God in the Midst of the Suffering? [Re: Coach]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NE Ohio
There are many psalms by David in which he expresses how is is overwhelmed by troubles and oppressed by enemies, and feeling abandoned by God and left to his own solitude and misery. he always comes back, however, to the knowledge that God is there. many of the prophets also went through a time of persecution and feeling like they were deserted by God. they are now regarded as great examples of faith.

our circumstances and feelings change, but we are taught that God does not change - even when we are not aware of Him.

lee

#471214 - 10/14/14 12:49 AM Re: Where is God in the Midst of the Suffering? [Re: Coach]
tbkkfile Offline

Loc: Surrey, United Kingdom
Hi Coach

As a person with little knowledge of the bible, I was a bit taken back by the intimation you made that God abandons people in the midst of their suffering, and you then ask how or whether he even redeems the soul of those very same people.

Maybe I got it wrong but does that mean that now I've been abused God doesn't think my soul is worthy of redemption?

Apologies if I got your post wrong

David

Edited by tbkkfile (10/14/14 12:50 AM)

#474853 - 01/11/15 12:35 AM Re: Where is God in the Midst of the Suffering? [Re: Coach]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: š¯’Ŗ š¯’¦anada
this is ezekiel. 1 kings chapter 19.

...he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, "It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers."

we all get desperate at times.

War
Love
Poetry

#475971 - 01/25/15 02:45 PM Re: Where is God in the Midst of the Suffering? [Re: Coach]
Serious Dave Offline

Loc: OH
Hi Coach,

I am rather new. Nice to make your acquaintance, circumstances excepted. Sorry to pile on, but I don't think God ever abandons us. "I will never leave you nor forsake you." I do think we FEEL that way at times, though. I like the metaphor of the "Footprints in the Sand" poem/idea. When we couldn't sense our hand in His, it's because he was carrying us. I know I've been carried by Him for long distances at a time!

I think His abandonment of Jesus was necessary to complete the work of salvation. God turned his back on Christ because, in His Holiness, He could not look on the One who was "made sin for us". Think about it, all the sins - past, present and future - heaped on Him; that is suffering beyond belief. the good news is that we no longer carry them.

On the other hand, those who don't have a relationship with God through Christ are called "blind", "dead", hopeless. "We do not mourn as those who have no hope." They have no hope of the life we share in Christ - that's hell on earth - to be cut off from God.

All that said, I love the topic of God in suffering as it relates to SA. Lead on.

Dave
and he now has no doubt
that the rest of his life he can save.

#475983 - 01/25/15 03:55 PM Re: Where is God in the Midst of the Suffering? [Re: Coach]
little big man Offline

Loc: nevada
Buddhism's eightfold path is the way out of suffering as it says in the four noble truths. If your thinking makes you suffer this path teches you how to do something about it. All suffering begines btween the ears. How we think, stories we make. what we are doing with our thinking. im not a pray and wait type of guy>
There is the Thinker and with meditation, the one who watches the Thinker. Get to know the one who watches the thinking. The mind is inherantly pure, we can always go there. An empty mind is a ready mind, it is ready for anything.

#478809 - 03/11/15 03:05 AM Re: Where is God in the Midst of the Suffering? [Re: Coach]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: š¯’Ŗ š¯’¦anada
When the worst finally happens, or almost happens, a kind of peace comes. I had passed beyond grief, beyond terror, all but beyond hope, and it was there, in that wilderness, that for the first time in my life I caught sight of something of what it must be like to love God truly. It was only a glimpse, but it was like stumbling on fresh water in the desert, like remembering something so huge and extraordinary that my memory had been unable to contain it. Though God was nowhere to be clearly seen, nowhere to be clearly heard, I had to be near him. I loved him because there was nothing else left. I loved him because he seemed to have made himself as helpless in his might as I was in my helplessness. I loved him not so much in spite of there being nothing in it for me but almost because there was nothing in it for me. For the first time in my life, there in that wilderness, I caught a glimpse of what it must be like to love God truly, for his own sake, to love him no matter what. If I loved him with less than all my heart, soul, and will, I loved him with at least as much of them as I had left for loving anything…

I did not love God, God knows, because I was some sort of saint or hero. I did not love him because I suddenly saw the light (there was almost no light at all) or because I hoped by loving him to persuade him to heal. I loved him because I couldn’t help myself. I loved him because the one who commands us to love is the one who also empowers us to love, as there in the wilderness of that dark and terrible time I was, through no doing of my own, empowered to love him at least a little, at least enough to survive. And in the midst of it, these small things happened that were as big as heaven and earth because through them a hope beyond hopelessness happened.

The final secret, I think, is this: that the words “You shall love the Lord your God” become in the end less a command than a promise.

Frederick Buechner
A Room Called Remember: Uncollected Pieces

War
Love
Poetry

#483153 - 05/30/15 07:47 PM Re: Where is God in the Midst of the Suffering? [Re: Coach]
Country Offline

Loc: Alabama
Where is God in the midst of suffering? He is where He always is. We must remember, during a test the teacher remains silent. I submitted a paper about God being faithful and just during times of trials and suffering. Just like Israel was judged and suffered, He loved them and had an EVERLASTING covenant. I have an illustration from my report but supper is ready. It is a great topic to discuss and cover. We see Job as an example also. Daniel is a good example also. Look at Saul, he seem Goliath as a physical battle and David seen him as a spiritual battle where God had already given David the victory. So what lens we are looking through determined how we see things also. God bless and I disagree with the post about Buddha.
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Ephesians 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

#483182 - 05/31/15 08:24 AM Re: Where is God in the Midst of the Suffering? [Re: Coach]
manipulated Offline
Greeter

Loc: Great Lakes Wine Country
Country, your examples are there and true but they were men, even David by definition of the time had passed to manhood. Where is God when the Perp is abusing a child? Where is God when the perp He created and foreknew in the Perp's mother's womb and still instilled the sex drive in was sexually abusing you and me?

THAT is the question we all must face. Someone recently told me that God was in me and suffering in me. He was feeling what I was experiencing and he foreknew I would survive...but some days I don't feel like surviving. Some days I feel abandoned, betrayed. Ripped from childhood/youthful innocence and thrown away to be twisted and tormented for someone's perverse entertainment.

Manipulated
.......................-- Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND at the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.