The message i heard this morning was too good not to share.
i know from my experience - and what many other guys have said on the MS forums - that many if not all of us suffer from poor self-esteem. this is a good antidote to that distorted self-image:
Let it go!
Let go of trying to get your worth from others.
Start letting God help you find your worth in Him.
It applies to:
our work/career lives
our relationship lives
our social status lives
our family lives
our spiritual lives
Destructive consequences of finding our worth in others:
We become hypocrites wear masks, pretend to be what we are not, lie, deceive.
We constantly compete compare ourselves with others stressed by this.
We lash out against people who disrupt our image, threaten our shaky self-esteem.
We let our joy and value be dependent upon what others say and think.
How do we Let it go?
Listen to what God says about it -
Here are SOME of the things God says about us:
1. We are CHILDREN OF GOD! creator of the Universe, Lord of all, King of Kings! John 1:12-13
2. We were PURCHASED at great PRICE the blood of Christ the precious son of God we are worth whatever value the buyer is willing to spend to own us. 1 Peter 1:18-19
3. We have been CHOSEN by HIM! not left standing alone after the team captains have chosen everyone else Ephesian 1:3-4
4. Gods SPIRIT LIVES WITHIN us the value of a property is increased by a famous or important occupant. 1 Corinthians 6:18-20
5. We are fellow-workers with God made in Gods image to collaborate with and imitate Him. Genesis 1:26-27, 2 Corinthians 5:17-20
6. God will always LOVE us and NEVER LEAVE us nothing can separate us from His love. Romans 8:38-39
Tune OUT what others think and say about us.
Tune IN to what God says!
(hope this helps others in the same way it has helped me.)
"the scariest thing about abuse of any shape or form, is, in my opinion, not the abuse itself, but that if it continues it can begin to feel commonplace and eventually acceptable."
- Alan Cumming, "Not My Father's Son"