Newest Members
mmm coffee, Calibre09, FallGuy2154, Whoamitoday, Joe4618
13527 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Broken1968 (49), frankC (64), Free to be Me (63), ivor1986 (31), ivor_1987 (31), osujtp (2017), SeanTennessee (38), Shields (40), tresheridas (76)
Who's Online
5 registered (Older1, Nathan LaChine, usmc97, payne, 1 invisible), 56 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,527 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,360 Topics
491,343 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#436393 - 05/31/13 10:43 AM Escaping vs. Facing Reality
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by concerned_husky (09/01/15 02:57 AM)
Edit Reason: Reducing ties with MS.

"Only the solitary seek the truth, and they break with all those who don't love it sufficiently." - Pasternak

#436403 - 05/31/13 01:22 PM Re: Escaping vs. Facing Reality [Re: concerned_husky]
Poorsoft Offline

Sounds like quite an awesome trip! Its almost as if by visiting so many different places you were seeking something, some part of yourself, something that almost had to be done in order to free yourself from your own escapism.

This is progress man, but remember to take it easy on yourself!

#436451 - 06/01/13 04:09 AM Re: Escaping vs. Facing Reality [Re: concerned_husky]
focusedbody Offline

Loc: NY
Husky:

Reality and I have had an interesting relationship for many years. As a young boy, reality was something a little beyond my everyday experience. That is, the more adult world of responsibility and consequences made me curious, but it wasn't always possible to engage in.

Over the years, engaging with difficult realities has been a challenge. What you describe is similar, but it makes me wonder if, in the end, we don't face reality, but rather it faces us. In some ways your trip and return is an example. Back in a familiar space, reality looks back expectantly, asking us to engage with it. It seems to do so whether we like it or not.

Growing up, this request to be engaged with is something that could easily be applied to how my Mom would relate to me. When her demeanor told me she wanted to be engaged with, it would make me happy yet sometimes painfully filled with emptiness. Over the years the request became uncomfortable. Couldn't she find a way to get my attention in a way befitting a parent? It's not even clear to me what that means, but it would have to be something with a strength behind it. Because she seemed to need my attention and only my attention at times, my own energy level seems to have learned to expect a kind of restlessness, stemming from a kind of exhausting obligation to give and not receive in a way that feels right.

So, perhaps recovery indeed comes from within, by engaging with painful realities that are asking to be transcended through conscious and committed healing.

Focused

#436475 - 06/01/13 01:48 PM Re: Escaping vs. Facing Reality [Re: concerned_husky]
EdfromNYC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York City
I have the same experience as you. I have some good enjoyable times and it feels really good but it also allows me to feel the stark bad feelings too. I avoided much through addictions that I am now putting to rest and there are ups and downs.

For me, when I stray to far from my recovery especially when feeling good there is a come down. I am learning the same lesson as you in smaller doses. Even when feeling good, I must try to keep one foot in real world.

#436486 - 06/01/13 07:20 PM Re: Escaping vs. Facing Reality [Re: concerned_husky]
trytry Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Wisconsin
Typing on my phone so i cant write a longer response but husky i know exactly how that feels. Ill have a good time for a while, come home, and it seems like things are so much worse than before i left. Wish i had advice to give, but hope it helps a little to know that i can relate.

#436640 - 06/03/13 07:21 AM Re: Escaping vs. Facing Reality [Re: concerned_husky]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by concerned_husky (09/01/15 02:58 AM)
Edit Reason: Reducing ties with MS.

"Only the solitary seek the truth, and they break with all those who don't love it sufficiently." - Pasternak

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.