Newest Members
UniversalBeing, Squirmish20, Cunobelin, Dean-GMoT, hunterprince
13497 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (47), eagle299 (46), H18 (24), JJJ (46), mariposaman (66), SevenTwoTwo76 (42), TexAgMan (40), waiter (47), wgwarch (58)
Who's Online
1 registered (usmc97), 122 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,497 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,053 Topics
489,047 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#421415 - 01/08/13 12:27 AM What exactly do stories build?
Luftraumm Offline

Loc: Brasil
Hi guys, i`m not sure how to go about all of this, but let me start off saying that this place makes me feel weird, good, but weird.
Getting to read stories of people who have gone through the same struggles that i have, seen faces of life that, although family and friends try to understand, they never do.
Getting to know i'm not alone, and that my pain is not isolated.

That is all so scary!
so, real.

Well, this is my first actual post, i'm writing from a kindly balanced tranquility, edging into some kind of trigger, looking over to some kind of fleeting peace.
My struggle over the years has come to a weird plateau-ish situation.
there is always this sense of crawling on a razor`s edge.
between pain, addiction, dependance and self security happiness and love.

I would love to go deeper into my own story, but what i actually want to do now, is ask you all, how did you work out your own story, in the sense, how have you told youselves your own tale?
and...

Did any of you find yourselves always looking for symbols?
because somehow i got used to always grabing onto stories, books, characters, carrying these symbols everywhere i went, trying to look into fiction for role models and some kind of certainty.

Well, i introduced myself in the introduction tread, but anyhow..
I`m Lu, for short, victim of CSA for many years, i`m 23, i live in Brasil.
glad to meet my brethren in chaos.

#421418 - 01/08/13 12:46 AM Re: What exactly do stories build? [Re: Luftraumm]
genedebs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MO
Hi Lu

Welcome to M S For myself I have found my own role model as Orestes, as depicted in the play Flies by Satre. Ostracized, facing the sun, leaving behind the traditional standards and punishments.

As My T says I am telling the story of Gene, not the life of gene. There were many experiences of trauma and abuse. I knew them chronologically, I am learning to be in touch with the emotional reactions to the events. Hope to get to know you.

#421419 - 01/08/13 12:55 AM Re: What exactly do stories build? [Re: Luftraumm]
Luftraumm Offline

Hey gene, Orestes is a strong character!
I tend to fluctuate a lot but most of the time i see Odysseus as my role model, ans i usually identify with the hole journey home kind of thing.

Yeah i guess i`m also in a part of the cicle where i`m more telling my story like its somebody else`s...

#421424 - 01/08/13 01:33 AM Re: What exactly do stories build? [Re: Luftraumm]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Welcome to the club, Luftraumm,

It is a weird kindred spirit we share with each other. It's unfortunate we need to be here, and I'm glad you found us.

Little did I know that the online monicker I used in chat rooms 20+ years ago would become a symbol for what I've had to do as I've gotten older. Magellan, after Ferdinand Magellan, the 1st person to circumnavigate the globe.

I took on the monicker Magellan, as teenage spunk idea that I was an explorer of the human soul. I had no idea how true that statement would become.

Indeed, I have had to become the explorer of the human soul simply to understand myself, understand others, and understand what life means to me. It's taken me a long time, and I'm no where near being finished.

Glad you're here. Keep posting, and read a ton, too. You'll learn a lot about yourself in the process. It will be hellish at times, but in the end, if you persist and keep at it, you're guaranteed new levels of awareness you would be surprised by.

D

#421450 - 01/08/13 04:40 AM Re: What exactly do stories build? [Re: Luftraumm]
Daniel_forgotten Offline

Hi Luf!

I lived in Brazil last year! this country was the start of my ... healing journey to put it in therapist words.

I haven't posted my story yet. Sometimes i want to do it and i tell myself "it's just writting a stupid sheet of the things i already know" but for some reason it feels like the most scary and hard task ever..

My rolemodel is a comicbook character. Yeh, i know. I have better ones in the back but the special thing with this character is that he became my role model very early in my abuse. He happens to be from my city so that added to it. When I grew older I discovered better role models but this character stayed "my symbol" as you said. Lol. kinda embarrasing.

welcome. friend here.

#421463 - 01/08/13 08:34 AM Re: What exactly do stories build? [Re: Luftraumm]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: resettling in NE Ohio
hey, Lu - you certainly have a gift with words and images! this is specially vivid - and i'm sure many of us can relate to the feeling of precarious and vulnerable equilibrium you describe:

Originally Posted By: Luftraumm
i'm writing from a kindly balanced tranquility, edging into some kind of trigger, looking over to some kind of fleeting peace.
My struggle over the years has come to a weird plateau-ish situation.
there is always this sense of crawling on a razor`s edge.
between pain, addiction, dependance and self security happiness and love.

and - yes - i believe that writing has helped me progress very effectively. my T told me that thinking about something, writing about it, reading it silently, and saying it out loud all use different parts of the brain. and that all a helpful. so - think it through, write it, read it, and tell it aloud. it does help.

how did you work out your own story, in the sense, how have you told youselves your own tale?

i pretend i am telling someone that does not know me everything that he needs to know to understand my story. it sometimes helps to have an imaginary or real audience in mind.

at the beginning of our work together, my T had me write my life - everything i remembered of the earliest years. then i read it to him. it was amazing the memories i recovered or discovered greater details and depth. and the connections and cause-effect relationships and the reasons for certain events - and the later effects upon my thinking, feeling, actions and attitudes. after a certain point, i wrote only about the abuse events or other things that i thought were important.

when i write for the forums, it is different - writing for a band of brothers that understand because of shared experiences.

Did any of you find yourselves always looking for symbols?
because somehow i got used to always grabing onto stories, books, characters, carrying these symbols everywhere i went, trying to look into fiction for role models and some kind of certainty.

yes - lots of fictional characters i identify with: Oliver Twist, Huck Finn, Holden Caulfield, the protagonists in "The Last Western and "The Sparrow" and others.

also - visual images are powerful for me - especially my favorite artist - Caravaggio. my avatar used to be a closeup of the face of Isaac being sacrificed by Abraham. Now it is David with the head of Goliath. obvious symbolism - 1st victim, then triumph over the bully/perpetrator.

sounds like you have good instincts - now put them to work. it is well worth the effort. and the membership here is extremely accepting and affirming.

ready when you are,
Lee
Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?...
Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails....
Habakkuk 1:2-3

#421472 - 01/08/13 11:46 AM Re: What exactly do stories build? [Re: Luftraumm]
A270465 Offline

Loc: SE Mich
I too feel like a lone soldier walking the fine line of sanity with thousand foot cliffs on either side, just keeping my head above the clouds where storms lie beneath.

War is all i have ever known be it in my head or in a riot.

sympathize
BrokenLeg@2 EarCutoff@5 RanOver@7 UnanethesizedSurgeries@8 rapedfrom10to11 Dysfunction&Druguse@12 Crime@13 Dotdotdot Violence Jail@18Escaped Prison@19GladiatorSchool Max@20 Supermax@21 HellEnsues THROWNbacktothestreets@26 MarriedWKids@28 HeardofCptsd@33
Seeking help
And the days tick by all the same

#421479 - 01/08/13 01:16 PM Re: What exactly do stories build? [Re: Luftraumm]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Matt just posted about vindication- community and connection are a huge part of healing and owning our stories.

I was fortunate to have to deal with addiction to getting drunk and later to acting out sexually before I dealt with my abuse. THis gave me some traction in life with sharing, Honesty, support groups. A recovery program. truth telling and self awareness. (I already m is the denial bit pretty well smile. )

These forums helped
Journaling helped
Meditation helped
Men's groups helped
Reading recovery literature helped (see my signature block)

Asking helped

Taking one more forward step helped

Abstaining from destructive behavior and addiction is a HUGE help.

Edited by Mountainous Buck (01/08/13 01:17 PM)

�It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#421486 - 01/08/13 02:36 PM Re: What exactly do stories build? [Re: Luftraumm]
Luftraumm Offline

Its hard to process all of this understanding at once!
i think i never felt so... comprehended.

I guess i`ll try to write my story, it feels hard, and scary.
is it better i do it in the proper thread?

Thank you all.
From the bottom of my heart.
I`m already feeling a little different, more..."normal"

I wish i can hear all of your stories, and get to know how you deal with everything, i`m glad to be amongst all of you.

#421488 - 01/08/13 02:45 PM Re: What exactly do stories build? [Re: traveler]
Luftraumm Offline

Originally Posted By: traveler

also - visual images are powerful for me - especially my favorite artist - Caravaggio. my avatar used to be a closeup of the face of Isaac being sacrificed by Abraham. Now it is David with the head of Goliath. obvious symbolism - 1st victim, then triumph over the bully/perpetrator.

i never thought about Caravaggio like that!
wow thanks Lee, those images will stay with me.

I guess we try to find in characters some degree of truth, or logic, or sense.
something that feels more stable than our own stories, i guess having gone through CSA takes away your ballance, and your sense of self. Like your being becomes like mist, or some volatile component, and these stories and characters become, stable stones to stand on...

My stories always have to do with family, with a paternal image.
I often feel orphaned. So i look for a Father, a male figure that has everything the male figures in my life failed to show me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.