Newest Members
Calibre09, FallGuy2154, Whoamitoday, Joe4618, Kpeaches55
13526 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MauiBuilt37 (38)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 62 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,526 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,358 Topics
491,338 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#396263 - 05/06/12 12:48 PM Survivor to Thriver
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi all

I've just rejoined this Forum, many years ago I joined and read the posts but never interacted. I've rejoined as a Thriver.

I'm from Johannesburg, South Africa and was sexually abused as a child by a number of perpetrators, a sports coach and a teacher. I was also violently gang raped in 1983 while I was in the armed forces, in fact the air force, while on active duty in a foreign country for a cause that I disapproved of.( it was a time when there was conscription, if you refused, you were sent to jail for 10 years).

Ten years ago my life changed, I spent 18 months in therapy and after being married for 15 years I told my wife, later I told my children. Today we are still married, she supported me thru it all, for that I will be eternally grateful and think our love is stronger than ever. She is my best friend and soulmate.

Ten years ago I began my journey to move from a victim to a survivor. It has taken me another 10 years to become a thriver.

Yesterday was another important day in that journey, I have joined up with another thriver, who has been active on this forum and who has done an enormous amount of work already and we together are starting an organization in Johannesburg for Adult Male Survivors of Abuse and Rape.

My journey will never be complete, I will need ongoing support to stay healed.

I've decided to sign off with my real name as that shows the world that I now control my life and that my perpetrators and rapists have lost all the power they once had over my mind and life.

Edited by JoziSA (05/06/12 03:36 PM)

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

#396278 - 05/06/12 02:33 PM Re: Survivor to Thriver [Re: JoziSA]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: resettling in NE Ohio
thanks for returning - and bringing experience and wisdom with you to share.

welcome back!
Lee
Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?...
Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails....
Habakkuk 1:2-3

#396281 - 05/06/12 03:08 PM Re: Survivor to Thriver [Re: JoziSA]
KMCINVA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wonderful story and I am glad you are here to share--keep thriving--that is the goal for everyone here.

Kevin

#396295 - 05/06/12 04:53 PM Re: Survivor to Thriver [Re: JoziSA]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Welcome Jozi!

Great things are happening in your country- I know whome is one of them and an glad u are joining him in these efforts.

We all have hope and productive experience to offer men who still suffer in silence. I applaud your recovery and see it brightening the world.

Jamie

�It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#396300 - 05/06/12 05:31 PM Re: Survivor to Thriver [Re: JoziSA]
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Jamie

Thanks, you are right, he has done a lot of the ground work already, I've had to do a lot of catching up. We are both passionate about this new path we are about to take together, he already has a network out there. We have both been communicating with the same people and I think it was Ken or Mike who but us in touch with each other. (I will check my emails at work tommorrow)

First there was one and then there was two...soon we will have a organization in Johannesburg and then branches throughout South Africa.

As the old adage goes it is TEAM work - Together Everybody Achieves More

www.samsosa.org

#396303 - 05/06/12 05:41 PM Re: Survivor to Thriver [Re: JoziSA]
peroperic2009 Offline

Loc: South-East Europe
Hi JoziSA,
this is great and so inspiring story. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm glad that you have return to this site smile !
And I'm happy to hear that Martin has found some fellow in South Africa whit same interest and passion for other brothers.
Both of you deserve standing ovation for your work!
Pero

#396312 - 05/06/12 08:16 PM Re: Survivor to Thriver [Re: JoziSA]
Dolphinboy Offline

Hi Jozi
Thanks for sharing your story. I hope to find the courage to post my own story here some day. There is so much strength confidence in your words, I whish I had some of that.

Fellow South African
DB
and became Dolphinboy,
my own protector.

#396441 - 05/07/12 09:16 PM Re: Survivor to Thriver [Re: JoziSA]
whome Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
HI All

Jozi, welcome to the site, it is refreshing to have someone else here that is from JHB and is also a thriver.
Dolphin boy, you to can have this, we are living proof of this brother, When you have time, give me a call and we can try and help you through this. One day you can be running a group in your town.

Jamie great to hear from you and Pero, thanks again man you are also a great active person.

This is a great site.

Heal well all
Martin

#396505 - 05/08/12 03:15 PM Re: Survivor to Thriver [Re: JoziSA]
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks for the welcome

This site is about sharing and healing, so today I posted a little more of my story on the Military Survivor forum. "I was raped while on active duty"

I feel at home amongst you fellow survivors

www.samsosa.org

#396533 - 05/09/12 12:23 AM Re: Survivor to Thriver [Re: JoziSA]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Welcome Rees:

Its always nice to hear from some of the old boys of the organization that haven't been active for a while. Welcome back!

And as a reminder to all, that exchange of private contact information between members is strongly discouraged until each has been on the site a minimum of three months. This is intended to keep everyone safe. It may seem controlling, or even arbitrary, but I can assure you its not.

I know, and recall that in my early days I was very anxious to get to know people here. I had felt so alone for so long that, to find a whole bunch of guys just like me was overwhelming. Take your time. Get to know the other through each other's posts, and opinions. As time goes on you'll get a pretty good impression of the other. Its imperative that the site remain safe for all users. Requesting, or offering private contact info can overwhelm people who have been traumatized. Lets keep MS comfy and safe for all members. Thanks.

Jim

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.