Newest Members
lilgas69, Humfrey, devon46, TheOceansSong, Yury
13129 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (37), Framery (46), JohanDoug (72), ltlkty (57)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 33 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,129 Registered Members
75 Forums
68,089 Topics
474,250 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#387306 - 02/26/12 03:27 AM Sleep....
Zan72 Offline

Does anybody have weird sleep patterns? There are days where I can't go to sleep till 2 sometimes 4am. I then sleep till 2 or 3pm the next day. I feel so tired even when I wake up. I try to go to bed early, but I'm tossing and turning for hours. I've tried music or nature sounds like rain or ocean waves. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I hate this. There are days, I feel I can't live like this the rest of my life. Ughhhhh! I hate this.

And miles to go before I sleep.

#387313 - 02/26/12 05:07 AM . [Re: Zan72]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 11:29 PM)

#387315 - 02/26/12 05:46 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Life's A Dream]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: settling in the USA again
I used to try to stay awake as long as i could because then i couldn't have dreams. Seems like if you sleep for shorter periods the dreams don't come. or at least that's what i thought. I got into a bad habit of staying awake too late and having a hard time getting up and being tired the next day. Never had the problem of not being able to sleep - just wishing i didn't have to...

now that i am working with lots of focus and purpose on my issues, i get very tired much more easily and fade much earlier. i'm getting more sleep and having more dreams - but not the bad ones like before - weird - but manageable. Also more energy the next day. I think the more regular schedule is helping.

There is something i take called melatonin that is not a sleeping pill or tranquilizer but helps me relax and get good sleep. There are side-effects and one is possible depression - but i haven't noticed a increase in that area. You might want to read up on it and ask a doc or T about it. It is non-pre>

#387334 - 02/26/12 08:37 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Zan72]
phoenix321 Offline

Loc: USA, FL
Originally Posted By: Zan72
Does anybody have weird sleep patterns? There are days where I can't go to sleep till 2 sometimes 4am. I then sleep till 2 or 3pm the next day. I feel so tired even when I wake up. I try to go to bed early, but I'm tossing and turning for hours. I've tried music or nature sounds like rain or ocean waves. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I hate this. There are days, I feel I can't live like this the rest of my life. Ughhhhh! I hate this.

Yes. Mine is from Bipolar and Anxiety. I take drugs (have a>

A guy opens the front door and sees a snail on his doorstep. He picks up the snail and throws it across the street in a neighbor's yard. A year later, the guy opens the front door and the same snail is on his doorstep. The snail says, "What the f*ck was that about?"

#387347 - 02/26/12 09:35 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Zan72]
timetested Offline
MaleSurvivor

My sleep patterns are all over the place as well. I have a hard time sleeping more than four hours at a time, but i make up for it with frequents naps during the day (an advantage of working from home). Some of my sleep is very deep, but more often it has bizarre dreams with all sorts of people from my past, good and bad.

#387468 - 02/27/12 01:53 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Zan72]
Forexpreneur Offline

Loc: Uranus (hell no not yours. lol...
I've had them off and on for as long as I remember. I swore insomnia was my middle name. I also go through periods of time where I just have horrid nightmares and don't want to sleep.

It is usually due to PTSD which for those who survive CSA it's complex PTSD and we've usually had it off and on since the abuse started occuring, which for too many of us it was incredibly young.

If you have a health care provider ask what you might be able to take to help that is not addictive. I take melatonin off and on but I'm a diabetic (type 1A) and it drastically raises my blood sugar levels. Also it is not a good idea to take it long term because you can get too much melatonin in your body and that can add to depression if you have it. So it is highly recommended to talk with a medical provider or even a good pharmacist can help you.

One thing that seems to really be helping me lately is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (you can even learn it yourself by getting the book "CBT for Dummies"). I still am not getting really restful sleep (I rarely have ever had that) but it so far has really helped with my PTSD and life in general, including not having nightmares for over a month, which is rare for me to go that long.

Best wishes on your healing journey brother. I hope you can find restfull sleep.

Alex

#387473 - 02/27/12 02:37 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Forexpreneur]
Yerac Offline

Loc: Southern CA

Edited by Yerac (10/20/12 10:48 PM)

#387491 - 02/27/12 08:24 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Yerac]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
My habits have been all over the board in thr past.

My inputs into healthy sleep are thr following:

I've settled on living without stimulants-adrenine, caffeine, drugs, or mindless channel or Internet surfing. This makes my evenings calmer so I naturally fall asleep. I exercise 4-5 a week first thing in thr morning and get a 25 minute yoga style "corpse pose" nap 2-3 times a week in the afternoon.

I occasionally wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back to sleep-it's best when I stay in bed and leave thr lights off rather than get up and get online.

I paid a T $150 n hour once and got this nugget-"if you need 8 hours of sleep and need to get up at 6 am, do the math. Get to sleep by 10 pm"

I've also learned from having kids that preparation to a calm night is important- turning down the lights, getting ready for bed by reading an hour before i Need to sleep. This all sounds boring, especially when I was young. But it helps me feel stable, energized, and able to face the day better. Now I feel like crap when I revert to the old habits.

Edited by Mountainous Buck (02/27/12 08:30 AM)

�It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#387504 - 02/27/12 12:30 PM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Zan72]
Clockwise Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Ugh, sleep is a difficult thing for me. I haven't gone to sleep before midnight in months. Usually I pass out around 2 am and on days when I don't have to work I wake at around 10:30 - 11. What I hate the most is when I take a half hour or hour nap during the mid-afternoon and then can't get to sleep that night. I end up wandering around the house until 4 in the morning. Sleeping sucks ass.

#387509 - 02/27/12 02:34 PM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Clockwise]
KMCINVA Offline
MaleSurvivor

it comes and goes. when the memories started to come back several years ago I went through a year of little of no sleep. I would awake constantly because of the images and feelings I had. I did not want to close my eyes to see the images. It was the abuse I had tried for a lifetime to bury--then I went into a period of on and off again sleep. Once I started therapy my sleep really went haywire--memories would keep coming, flashbacks so vivid and real. Now I am working through everything and I am finally accepting the abuse and other things that happened to me in my life as well as not longer holding myself at fault for the CSA and other torments in the home--I am now in a period of being able to sleep without intense nightmares or flashbacks--everything seems better controlled. So my sleep is improving with healing. I know there will be periods of anxiety as I uncover more of my life, but I think I can better handle the reality better than before--but I will let you know.

#387510 - 02/27/12 02:35 PM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Clockwise]
KMCINVA Offline
MaleSurvivor

it comes and goes. when the memories started to come back several years ago I went through a year of little of no sleep. I would awake constantly because of the images and feelings I had. I did not want to close my eyes to see the images. It was the abuse I had tried for a lifetime to bury--then I went into a period of on and off again sleep. Once I started therapy my sleep really went haywire--memories would keep coming, flashbacks so vivid and real. Now I am working through everything and I am finally accepting the abuse and other things that happened to me in my life as well as not longer holding myself at fault for the CSA and other torments in the home--I am now in a period of being able to sleep without intense nightmares or flashbacks--everything seems better controlled. So my sleep is improving with healing. I know there will be periods of anxiety as I uncover more of my life, but I think I can better handle the reality better than before--but I will let you know.

#387511 - 02/27/12 02:57 PM Re: Sleep.... [Re: KMCINVA]
Artistandvictum Offline

Loc: ohio
I have the same sleep problems, at first i couldnt stay asleep , then i couldnt fall asleep, now its a mixture of both, i have night terrors and sleep talk and sleep moving(not really walking yet) my ex used to accuse me of sleep eating which is prob true also. I have a reoccurring dream that i am on the edge of america on lake erie between canada and there is a yearly natural disaster coming that is a mix between a tital wave and a hurricane. and there is like a great wall of china but in this case cleveland. i have had this dream atleast once a week since i was a kid and i wake up in the worst place emotionally after it. Its a really weird nightmare that has no relevance to any situation in my life except for metaphorically. and i never remember why i am so upset when i wake up. usually i am crying in my sleep and my roommate wakes me up

#387517 - 02/27/12 03:46 PM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Artistandvictum]
timetested Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have similar issues. Falling asleep is very difficult, and then, when I do fall asleep, it is in short bursts of a couple of hours at most, so that I find myself looking at my clock at 3 am and deciding if I should just get up or not. I toss and turn as well, and cant sleep for any reasonable amount of time in the same position. Add bedwetting to the mix and it makes for a restless night.

#387518 - 02/27/12 03:52 PM Re: Sleep.... [Re: timetested]
Drop Offline

falling asleep isnt usually a big issue its staying asleep... i wake up from nightmares almost every night. And if i dont i still usually dont get much more then 4,5 hours..

Watch me burn, watch me burn

#387572 - 02/27/12 11:43 PM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Drop]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Wow,

Reading these reminds me of the times I would wake up with in terror and SWEARING that someone had entered the room: a flashback that would have me screaming "NO NO NO" that I still haven't figure out, but that has left me since embarking on recovery in these rooms.

I've always been hypervigilant and had my doctor tell me to stop living off adrenaline....

It Does Get Better......

�It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#387594 - 02/28/12 08:07 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Mountainous Buck]
Fidex Offline

i haven't slept yet, it's 5am. It used to be normal for me to stay awake to some time like seven or eight AM before I'd go to sleep. I didn't feel like i could go to sleep in the dark, then of course I slept until six or seven or even later that evening. Someone mentioned sleep paralysis, I experienced that a lot and still do though less since I've been sleeping in a regular bed in my own apartment (and other reasons I think involving drug use but even when I experienced it as a kid it was due to new sleeping arrangements/hypervigillance). I was so afraid of this but in the daylight it wasn't as bad as at night, still overwhelming but not as violent or frightening.
Otherwise I can sleep up to fifteen hours though in the past two or three months I'd say I have a pretty regular sleep schedule, usually 10 or 11 to seven am. Not bad. It's only upset sometimes like tonight.

#387596 - 02/28/12 08:11 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Fidex]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I was up until somewhere between 2:30 and 3am last night. Had to get up at 6. (Actually managed to crawl out of bed closer to 6:45 at my wife's insistence that I had to go to work...)

When things are good, Midnight to 1 am is normal... when things are bad... all bets are off as the time I actually go to bed.

#387597 - 02/28/12 08:23 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: JustScott]
GoHomeAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Artist,

My therapist told me that most dreams are garbage - don't mean anything - unless it's a recurring dream. He says it is almost always your subconscious thoughts manifesting themselves in the recurring dream. It means something.

Paul

#387721 - 02/29/12 02:00 AM . [Re: timetested]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 11:26 PM)

#387724 - 02/29/12 02:30 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: Life's A Dream]
KMCINVA Offline
MaleSurvivor

2 am in a sound sleep, door to room being kicked in. The wife and two children screaming, heard a beep and now the child is saying I put listening devices in kitchen. It is so ridiculous, now they are fighting amongst theselves. I was in a great sleep until this. 25 minutes later it is still going on. I staid in the bedroom and did not say a word. They are going through every cabinet. I can only think how sad, now the son is telling his mother how she is wrong. Unbelievable, at leasr it is not a flashback.

#387725 - 02/29/12 02:52 AM Re: Sleep.... [Re: KMCINVA]
KMCINVA Offline
MaleSurvivor

2:45 am still going on. If history repeats, I soon will be the target, let us hope they will realize how ludicrous it is, listening devices. Since ihave learned to tune out and do affirmations during attacks I remain grounded the attacks are vicious and totally stupid. I hope they finishing checking the kitchen, probably find items long misplaced. I am just shaking my head, just want to sleep.

Now they are calling each other names. I guess trying not to be the next victim of attacks and all that I have went through. I was in such a peaceful sleep

#387794 - 02/29/12 02:54 PM Re: Sleep.... [Re: KMCINVA]
KMCINVA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Finally fell asleep--amazing I kept my self steady and did not regress into a nightmare or flashback. I think I am getting control over my life--it feels good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.