Newest Members
jake1985, cactus8, Neil Benesh, blazzeee, mmm coffee
13531 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (46), omrfople (41), zookeeper (54)
Who's Online
3 registered (peroperic2009, Ceremony, 1 invisible), 57 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,531 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,387 Topics
491,554 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#383497 - 01/26/12 08:27 AM security pat-downs
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: resettling in NE Ohio
Anyone get freaked out by airport security pat-downs?
Any tips on getting over it?
I know it's not personal but ...

Lee

Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?...
Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails....
Habakkuk 1:2-3

#383500 - 01/26/12 08:47 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: traveler]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
The idea of pat downs is what triggered the release of my repressed Csa starting three years ago.

With planning and intention, I can face these and other triggering events -my wiser stronger adult self needs to be in charge and walk thru it.

Ok. I'm up sick in tr middle of hr night - back to bed!

�It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#383530 - 01/26/12 04:58 PM Re: security pat-downs [Re: traveler]
Avery46 Offline

Loc: USA
traveler,

For me this issue has to do with being touched, inappropriately. Also, this issue is one of telling others it is ok or NOT ok to be touched.

I have had to learn to be ok by accepting touch from others. I have learned to tell others "hey back off". Sometimes others were NOT ok with me telling them to back off. I have aways to go to be completing ok with this issue.

I applaud you for bring up this issue.

Peace,
Avery

#383531 - 01/26/12 05:20 PM Re: security pat-downs [Re: Avery46]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Lee,

I don't know if you recall, but I use to travel ALL over the country constantly form 1992 to 2008 (and back in the 80s as well). i use to have to deal with TSA no less than twice per week.

At the time before (and significantly after) my disclosure, I had what anyone might call "nuclear-grade explosions" with the TSA. If I saw them being the least-bit neglectful or abusive, or even presumptive, about anything, I'd blow like Fukushima #4. LOUD, nasty (as in fkg nasty), vicious, physically intimidating and all-around dreadful...and THAT was for other travelers. By the time they got to me, i was a known toxin.

I had to fly again recently, and got my crotch grabbed very hard and painfully, but I had dissed-out long before the pat-down and did not snap TSA neck like I had anticipated. I can't say I will react the same way if I fly with my children though.

Its all a control issue. When I fly, SO much control and power over ME lands in the hands of people I have no regard for. Then consider the fact that they are going to poke through my carry-on and ask stupid questions and then manipulate where, when and how my body behaves? Its got my BP up just writing this.

#383566 - 01/27/12 01:17 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: Still]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, men!

This is helping. Yeah, Robbie - in airports the control/power thing is worse for me than the actual touching. It feels so impersonal and like i'm being treated as a non-person. And degrading to be forced to take off my sweater or jacket, take off my shoes, take off my belt - (i even searched for and found a belt with no metal parts and was so glad that i would be able to wear it through the checks - sort of symbolic of keeping my pants ON! But the last time i flew, they made me remove it too in spite of my explanation. i was really upset by that.) It's like I am being forced to strip for someone else's satisfaction - guess you can see where this is going...

My wife always wonders why i get so tense and upset going though all the checks. She is nervous too, but more because of not wanting to miss the flight - or worry that the luggage will be overweight - or there will be problems with the reservations. I'm just now putting it together that for me the issue is the control/authority and ritualized "stripping." (Avery - now you made me think about it, maybe the touch issue is more significant than i am allowing myself to be aware of?)

I sort of numb out on the touch part - not that it's pleasant but i grit my teeth and go away in my mind. i do have trouble with other touch situations, tho - esp massages. Once had a full-body massage and went in totally wound up in anticipation i it was supposed to be a nice luxurious thing to do as a couple but i was dreading it - was able to eventually relax the muscles but ended up afterwards more tense mentally and emotionally than when it started. Now i jsut avoid anything below the neck and shoulders.

Sorry, MB - both that you're sick and that this caused you pain - (but hey, maybe a blessing in a very convincing disguise?) How do you prepare? Sort of mentally brace yourself - or what?

Lee

#383567 - 01/27/12 01:54 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: traveler]
Green Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NYC, NY
I always come with a list of objects that might cause a problem and check off the list right before I get there. I place all of the following objects in a bag that that the scanner checks. That way I don't trip any alarms.

Keys
coins
wallet
pen
Watch
belt
Blackberry and case
Shoes

Harry

#383572 - 01/27/12 03:04 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: Green]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

I can have everything out of my pockets and no alarms go off but still every time they do the full-body feel-up - i mean pat-down. Used to be worse on international flights than US domestic but now all the same.

#383609 - 01/27/12 08:23 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: traveler]
mike13 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California USA
Traveler it is kind of funny but the feel ups led me to heard. I had to fly over Xmas and was thinking about canceling the trip.
MSNBC had an article about people who were not flying because of the feel ups and there was a link to here. Amazing what good can come from something so evil Mike

#383616 - 01/27/12 11:17 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: mike13]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wow, mike13... glad you found us --- and that, as you said, "good can come of something so evil." That's an important reminder for me to hear.
Lee

#383811 - 01/30/12 04:27 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: traveler]
mike13 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lee I love your quote where did you find it?

#383815 - 01/30/12 05:11 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: traveler]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Unless I'm mistaken I believe there is a rule that we're not to share links on discussion boards. But in this situation, because it would be so VERY helpful to ALL of us, perhaps the moderator could get permission for the MSNBC link to be shared about "the good that can come" of patdowns?

#383825 - 01/30/12 07:09 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: mike13]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mike - It's a verse from a song that means a great deal to me - by Michael Kelly Blanchard called "Be Ye Glad". Probly on Youtube too. You can find all the lyrics by seaching his name and the title of the song. I had to edit it drastically to get it under the allowed length for signature lines. First time i heard it i thought - that is mine!
Lee

#384106 - 02/02/12 07:09 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: traveler]
mike13 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Lee

#384179 - 02/03/12 01:40 AM Re: security pat-downs [Re: mike13]
devon0 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Glad you brought this up. I didn't realize it but I had a problem with the TSA. It wasn't the pat-downs because I've not traveled since they started that. It was the "open your belt buckle" if they scanned it with the wand and it set it off. Being told to open my belt buckle was too much for me. I would go into an anxiety attack and that would only lead to more and closer exams leading to more tension. I had no idea it was a flashback! Duh! Of course it was. But, like I say, I don't travel now and have few plans to but next time I'll know better. Thanks for that posting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.