Newest Members
HealingNow45, NewStart, detreker, WifeLife, Oskar
13694 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
doubleL (32), eltoro65 (53), Ken Followell (2018), orlando (35), rogers33 (41), SweetCandi (35)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,694 Registered Members
75 Forums
71,200 Topics
497,358 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#372563 - 10/16/11 06:58 PM The power of speaking out
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
This is further to my post about being speechless at the comedy club.

I received this email this morning, I am happy that there was some resolution. More than that, i am glad i changed the pattern of being passive, grumbling and being pissed off. I thinks thats what allowed me to be bullied and taken advantage of so often in the past. Then the self loathing and shit would follow. So today is a good day.

Here is the response i got:

Thank you so much for your email. I feel gross right now. I'm so sorry that we offended you. It was never our intention.

Amy and I are known to push the limits and this time we went to far. That skit was brand new and we hadn't really even had time to think about how offensive it was.

We have pulled that joke from the skit and will be very careful with similar situations in the future. That being said, we certainly need to tone it down and focus on being funny in a more intelligent and non-offensive way.

Again, thank you for the email. We crossed the line. We will definitely be more careful in the future.

Ryan Steele

All i can say is SILENCE IS NOT GOLDEN. Speaking up feels like a million bucks.

WoR Barrie 2011

#372582 - 10/16/11 10:51 PM Re: The power of speaking out [Re: 1lifenow]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Sunnny, South East USA
1lifenow,

Well Done! Advocacy is a necessary step in our personal development and in our recovery. I too speak out when subjects marginalize and even tacitly approve sexual abuse.

I receive jokes weekly from a friend who is a minister. He is a good guy, and I am comfortable with him as a person. One day he sends me a joke about 'pony riding', an older woman and a minor male in a sexual situation. I respond to him that I am a survivor of sexual abuse and that if he needs to send that abuse supporting material, he does not need to email me anymore.

He responded with chagrin, he was very apologetic. He realized he was desensitized to this kind of material and that he would censor himself and make sure that never happened again.

Helping him to understand the ramifications of forwarding such abuse material is worth a million bucks! Keep up the good work, Ryan, and to all of us, speak out!

Sam

#372611 - 10/17/11 07:16 AM Re: The power of speaking out [Re: 1lifenow]
pbert53 Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington, USA
Grant,

Good for you man. Woohoo!

One more for our side. smile

peace

paul

~ adapted from: Sri Ram

#372623 - 10/17/11 02:19 PM Re: The power of speaking out [Re: pbert53]
Anthony39 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Montreal, Canada
thumbs up man!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM213aMKTHg

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.