Newest Members
WaJoKo, eartherncuppatea, jakesweden, JugglingDave, Dan981
13842 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DanielB (43), forth (57), KazuKun (40), Marinan (35), overcomer4life (46), wonderifandwhen (59)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 61 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,842 Registered Members
75 Forums
72,038 Topics
503,418 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#346167 - 11/24/10 03:45 PM holidays suck????
nevragan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NC
Iíve been busy lately and my mind seems to be elsewhere. Iíve actually been doing well for about the last week or so. Nothing major has happened and things for once are mellow. Iím tryin not to let the voice message I got bother me but it is. I thought I could change things this year and break the old patterns. Anyways, mom called me and left a message. She said she hoped that I was going to be with someone on turkey day. My question is who is that? Everyone I know is going to be out of town or busy. Iíd like to change this dreaded holiday into something positive but not sure how. Seeing that Iím alone again, I bought a ham to bake. I still have lots to learn in the cooking department but will keep trying. Maybe next year Iíll cook a turkey instead. Iím trying to put that negative message from her away and keep positive. Seems to be difficult to do. I look forward to 4 days off for once but am not sure what to do either. Just hope I can change my ďholidays suckĒ attitude for good.

Andy

#346183 - 11/24/10 06:11 PM Re: holidays suck???? [Re: nevragan]
looking2heal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: pa
andy that is great that you are able to fight thru and cook....i understand what you mean about the holidays, i will be working on thanksgiving from noon to 730 ...if we was closer id be glad to come hang out and do something....maybe next year we can all get together and have a thanksgiving ....that would be an awesome thing to aim for ....see how many we can get have a great big dinner....whos in guys?

again andy its great that you cook ...thats a big step proud for you!...:)

#346184 - 11/24/10 07:20 PM Re: holidays suck???? [Re: looking2heal]
kidneythis Offline

Sorry Andy,
I don't know what to say. I am sort of lucky in that I'm no longer emotional about being alone. I even enjoy it. It took many years and came as I individuated and I had a supportive environment of sorts to do it in.
As for cooking I have done turkey a couple times. It takes more than on day to do it all if you want to eat by 1 or 3 pm. I do a chicken now, a small one at that. Lots of thyme and rosemary.Oh I've done duck and turkey breast. Anyway I rubbed the turkey breast with duck fat (I save all the fat from birds I cook, turkeys don't have much if any, so I can make soup and use it to fry morning potatoes, yum) and it made a great crust. cooking a chicken saves on the waste of leftovers and is easier all round.

I never did a ham but I think its pretty simple as most are already cooked you only need to glaze it and add whatever spices you like then heat it up. Measure your oven before you buy it! and make sure you account for the pan you will use too.

#346186 - 11/24/10 07:46 PM Re: holidays suck???? [Re: kidneythis]
rcm Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boston, MA
Andy,
I think making a ham was a great idea. I have learned to celebrate even when I am by myself and treat myself to a nice festive meal. I also set the table nicely and put candles. Why not? It's important to be nice to ourselves. We deserve it.
Have a great holiday,
Raul

#346215 - 11/25/10 01:30 AM Re: holidays suck???? [Re: rcm]
prisonerID Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oklahoma
Raul, I agree with this whole heartedly. What we would do for others to make them feel special we should do for ourselves as well. Very good thoughts here.

Andy, I think you are doing well in making this holiday one for yourself. Shake it up, do what you wish to do. I try to make at least a part of the day just for me. I may go see a movie, take a drive or just find some quiet time to myself.

I hope it is a good day for you. You are in good company with yourself.

Daryl

#346220 - 11/25/10 03:45 AM Re: holidays suck???? [Re: prisonerID]
diamondheart Offline

Loc: Michigan
holidays can be tough for anyone, especially someone who has gone through csa...

hang in there... cook yourself a good meal. you deserve it...

#346245 - 11/25/10 12:01 PM Re: holidays suck???? [Re: diamondheart]
Cassidy24 Offline

Today I am eating only ramen and yogurt, entirely by myself...

Cassidy

#346259 - 11/25/10 06:46 PM Re: holidays suck???? [Re: Cassidy24]
nevragan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NC
I'm trying to stay positive but things aren't going well today. It took 4 hours to cook the ham I was going to make. I found the steps in the recipe to be kinda vague which left me wondering what to do. I tried my best and then called it off at 4 hours in. Glad I did because the oven dried my ham out enough to consider it ruined. The ham is edible but just lacks the flavor I was looking for. Maybe next time it will turn out better. The other thing that is disappointing is that nobody called me today. Guess everyone is busy enjoying their holiday. As far as this holiday, it did mostly suck in the end. Maybe Christmas will be good? Not sure.

Andy

#346260 - 11/25/10 06:55 PM Re: holidays suck???? [Re: nevragan]
kidneythis Offline

Sorry about the Ham. I tend to over cook my birds and I burnt my pizza today. I burn a lot of stuff in the oven because I get caught up with what I'm doing while I wait.
Cooking is about making mistakes until you figure out how you like to make things.
Sorry for the lonliness Andy. I'm happy to see you on here and Happy Thanksgiving.
KT

#346275 - 11/26/10 01:37 AM Re: holidays suck???? [Re: kidneythis]
sLiPpeth Offline

Glad to be home alone today. Like others, celebrated the concept of good food by making a modest meal. Listened to some music, etc.

If not in a relationship next year, just might have some people in for a "pot luck"... Millions of Americans spend the holidays alone for a plethora of reasons. This year really wanted the day to myself, but have had years where I felt so lost and lonely when that'd happen.

So best wishes to all, and at least there's a little comfort in knowing we're not alone...in being alone. ; )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND at the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.