Newest Members
WaJoKo, eartherncuppatea, jakesweden, JugglingDave, Dan981
13842 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DanielB (43), forth (57), KazuKun (40), Marinan (35), overcomer4life (46), wonderifandwhen (59)
Who's Online
5 registered (Shyshark, betrayed boy, 3 invisible), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,842 Registered Members
75 Forums
72,038 Topics
503,418 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#346032 - 11/22/10 10:11 PM Re: Oprah Show [Re: onlyakid]
G5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
There is some merit in what chuckb is saying. I attended the show and there is, was, and will always be some sensationalism when it comes to the media. I work in the media, TV actually. In attending I had some expectation of having us being 'used' in a way. But so be it. We were in a way using her fame and 'Oprah Effect' to get our message across. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
She was abused. She understood. She WAS sincere. She MADE the time to do two shows instead of the one that was originally scheduled. She read the stories and decided the day before that one show wouldn't, couldn't be enough. Television is a product and at times you need to sell something to draw viewers in. I think most of us understood this, but at the same time we were looking to be recognized for our suffering, for our pain, to let the secret out. We were ther to show support for those who continue to suffer, for those that cannot bring themselves to talk about their abuse.
I attended for these reasons and for more. I wanted to let others know about ME and what I've been hiding, while trying to appear normal. It was a venue that allowed me to do this. So if you couldn't bring yourself to do this for whatever reason, I respect that. Everyone is at a different place in their recovery. So what if Oprah is a billionaire or whatever. We had an opportunity to get the word out on INTERNATioNAl tv. She is not Jerry springer.

I'm proud of what we did. They werent perfect shows. Much more could e been said...only a week of shows could touch base on what we've gone through, but it was something.

A friend told me she watched with her husband. Next time she saw me she was intears...her husband told her he was abused too...and he began talking and sharing for the first time in his life.
THAT is what the show was about...sharing.

Chris

Oprah 200, and "Silence Buster" Contibuter
NYC Support Group
WoR Alta Advanced '12

#346117 - 11/24/10 01:21 AM Re: Oprah Show [Re: G5]
chuckb Offline

We will just have to agree to disagree. I don't think Oprah bringing our plight to the public's attention did any good. I say this because people take her as seriously as they take Jerry Springer. Yes, she is like Jerry Springer, insincere, full of herself, doesn't care who she exploits to get ratings and more money, etc. I watched both shows, she didn't seemed at all genuine or interested. And both shows together really didn't tell the world what we went through, go through, and what it all has really done to us. She really didn't get our plight out there, she got her name out there as she usually does, and no one will look at us seriously because of her.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND at the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.