I don't want to discourage anyone but I think it important to point out that this is a TV show.
Oprah, who's press tells us is a great person and does great things isn't necessarily going to be personally involved in this. It will most likely be Producers et al who you end up dealing with and being HANDLED by.
While I am glad someone from here wants to shine light on this our problem, don't set your expectations too high. Oprah isn't going to fix your life, becomeing well known may ruin your life, and in all of this her motive as well as her producers is to create a good TV show not to help you personally. Her aim is to help the large impersonal and unknown group known as "people who have been harmed".
I don't think they will do anything intentionally harmful but if one of you appears emotionally vulnerable to a producer don't be surprised if you are triggered just before you're on air.
So you might want to consult your own therapist before going forward with any offers to be on her show. Even if the producers offer you a "very good therapist" to check you out etc., use your own first.
Producers are people but they have to ensure they make money
EDIT: this seemed important enought to post here in case anyone is like me and didn't read it. I often don't read these things as they are all signed under some form of duress and thus invalid but anyway here it is in case you missed it.
Stories, ideas, suggestions, essays, audio, video, photographs or related materials and any other materials of any kind whatsoever submitted (hereinafter, the "Submissions") will not be returned or kept confidential. All such Submissions may be used: (i) on www.oprah.com
(the "Website"); (ii) for broadcast or other publication by Harpo, Inc. or any of its affiliated companies or entities, including, but not limited to, The Oprah Winfrey Show, Harpo Productions, Inc. and Oprah & Friends, Inc. (collectively "Harpo") or its related companies or entities, including without limitation, The Oprah Winfrey Show, "The Oprah Winfrey Network" and distributed in all markets and media worldwide and in perpetuity. By submitting the above, you acknowledge and agree to the following terms and conditions and consent to your name and geographic location possibly being published in connection with the publication, distribution and/or broadcast of your Submission(s).
1. The Submissions may be shared with The Producers and/or developers of The Oprah Winfrey Show and/or other Harpo Productions, Inc. (or its related entities, including, without limitation, Oprah.com and OWN) related programming.
2. Neither Harpo nor any of its affiliated companies or entities are obligated to use or pay you for any Submission.
3. It is possible that similar Submissions may be submitted to Harpo by multiple sources and that a Submission may be similar to ideas generated or developed independently by Harpo employees.
4. All Submissions shall become the property of Harpo, may be edited for length, clarity and/or functionality, will not be subject to any obligation of confidentiality, may be shared with and used by the staff of Harpo and any of their affiliated companies or entities and shared with legal authorities if Harpo believes it warranted. Neither Harpo nor any third or other party with whom Harpo shares the Submissions shall be liable for any use or disclosure of any information or Submission that you submit.
5. Harpo shall exclusively own all known or later existing rights to the Submissions worldwide and shall be entitled to the unrestricted use of the Submissions for any purpose in all media now known or hereafter discovered without compensation to the provider of such Submissions.
6. Harpo reserves the right to change due dates for Submissions, or other specifics, as it deems necessary in its sole and exclusive discretion.
7. By providing the Submissions, you represent and warrant that you are at least twenty-one (21) years old.
8. No Submission may contain any material that is abusive, vulgar, threatening, harassing, libelous, defamatory, obscene, invades a person's privacy, violates any law, any intellectual property or other property or other rights, or is known to be false.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE: If you are seeking immediate assistance on a matter involving urgent health care, personal safety, the safety of others or any other issue requiring immediate attention, please do not use this e-mail or website. Instead, IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING OR HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF AN EMERGENCY INVOLVING IMMEDIATE DANGER OR PHYSICAL HARM TO YOU OR TO ANOTHER, PLEASE CALL 911 OR YOUR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES. If you are experiencing any other type of emergency situation with which you need assistance, please click here.. Please note that we cannot reply to all e-mails sent to us or guarantee that your e-mail will be or will be immediately read. We cannot always review every e-mail that we receive.