Newest Members
twinker, LaneFiasco95, Kristabar, tom93, ninjei
13513 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (42), barelysurviving (48), bigbob20 (72), billyp (68), Larry Mullen (70), Shawv (73), TheTwoOfUs (46)
Who's Online
5 registered (twinker, betrayed boy, Scottie, TJ jeff, 1 invisible), 66 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,513 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,189 Topics
490,066 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#307393 - 10/21/09 03:02 AM A disturbing conversation
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Waldport, Oregon
I was involved in a very disturbing conversation this past Sunday with my mother-in-law. She made the comment (mind you this is the lady who has a son in jail for sexually abusing her grandson) that these boys who end up being sexually abused are asking for it and it's probably their fault.

I'd like to say I handled the conversation well and was able to enlighten her.

Didn't happen.

What actually happened was I heard myself saying, "That's the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever heard."

Ahh, well! You win some, you lose some! At least there's no doubt in her mind how I feel about it smirk

#307397 - 10/21/09 03:06 AM Re: A disturbing conversation [Re: WalkingSouth]
FormerTexan Offline
Administrator

Loc: Denver, CO
I said it before and I'll say it again: Way to go, John!

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#307398 - 10/21/09 03:21 AM Re: A disturbing conversation [Re: WalkingSouth]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
john, all i can think of to say is 'consider the source'. probably for the same reasons that my own parents didn't know what to do when they found out that others would sooner or later find out about what their own progeny was 'up to'. for them and their generation, the topic sex alone was such a shameful one. they'd just as soon kill any discussion of the topic of sex for fear they would be incriminated for actually having invested thought in the subject in the first place: guilty by approximation and association.

sux big time. gawd i am so grateful for this place, a refuge where i can get away from the world's solution: denial and avoidance. i couldn't stand not being able to escape it. if it were not for malesurvivor, i wonder where i would 'be'.

*sigh*

#307399 - 10/21/09 03:33 AM Re: A disturbing conversation [Re: Sans Logos]
Daniel_forgotten Offline

i dont understand why anyone would think like that i just dont getit

#307400 - 10/21/09 03:35 AM Re: A disturbing conversation [Re: Daniel_forgotten]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Waldport, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Daniel_forgotten
i dont understand why anyone would think like that i just dont getit

Probably because it's easier to blame the victim than to face an uncomfortable truth...? Dunno.

#307403 - 10/21/09 04:05 AM Re: A disturbing conversation [Re: WalkingSouth]
Casmir213 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northeast, USA
John,

I agree that it is disturbing, and potentially triggering, to hear such ignorance come out of someone's mouth. I'm glad you voiced your opinion instead of trying to enlighten her, not that I think she could have been enlightened.

Rocco

WoR Alumnus - Hope Springs, OH, October 2009

My avatar is the farmhouse at the Hope Spring, OH WoR. It's a nice place.

#307451 - 10/21/09 02:31 PM Re: A disturbing conversation [Re: WalkingSouth]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
(((John)))

Time to go over to that "Give yourself a Standing Ovation" thread I think!

As you know, it never ceases to amaze me how insensitive people can be. And as Ron said, thank goodness we have a place to to come to where the opposite is true.

Jim

#307484 - 10/21/09 08:07 PM Re: A disturbing conversation [Re: WalkingSouth]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: walkingsouth
I was involved in a very disturbing conversation this past Sunday with my mother-in-law. She made the comment (mind you this is the lady who has a son in jail for sexually abusing her grandson) that these boys who end up being sexually abused are asking for it and it's probably their fault.

Unfortunately her attitude probably reflects that of many in our society. The question is always what do we say to them. I think we need a major motion picture which would dramatize the plight of the abused child.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#307488 - 10/21/09 08:31 PM Re: A disturbing conversation [Re: WalkingSouth]
DJsport Offline
MaleSurvivor

She made the comment (mind you this is the lady who has a son in jail for sexually abusing her grandson) that these boys who end up being sexually abused are asking for it and it's probably their fault.

Hi, John. I think the comment of ".....bunch of bullshit..." is awesome. Whoooohooooo

I was thinking of maybe next time turning the tables on her and say "so are you (insert her name) implying your (insert grandsons name) asked for it from (insert sons name) and it is (inserts grandsons name) fault"

Just a thought.

But John BRAVO.

DJ

Never make someone a priority if your only an option

#307505 - 10/21/09 10:08 PM Re: A disturbing conversation [Re: WalkingSouth]
Mike1968 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California

I'd like to say I handled the conversation well and was able to enlighten her.

Didn't happen.

What actually happened was I heard myself saying, "That's the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever heard."

Ahh, well! You win some, you lose some! At least there's no doubt in her mind how I feel about it smirk

You are very patient. If it were me, she probably would have been oust a long time ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.