This is something I wrote, thought you all might like it. It's not a poem but I don't know where else to put it.

Love ya
Darrel

Coyote

It was quite dark that morning so long ago. I can still remember how the frozen stars shown with such a cold glare that Full Moon froze just above the icy western horizon. I was so cold that I began to fear Sun was embedded in ice on the back side of yonder hill. If he ever did manage to melt himself free, I just knew that he would be so tired from the effort that it would take him three days to warm himself up.

I could hear coyote singing frozen songs that hung in icicles from the branches of the frozen trees. He sang until the trees broke from the weight of all his frozen songs. “Coyote!” I screamed, “STOP! You’re going to kill the whole forest with your icy songs.”

“Build a fire,” I heard coyote suggest from the frozen darkness.

“Who do you think you are? You sing and sing your frozen songs to the frozen moon and expect me to thaw the whole thing out with my fire?”

“Do you want Sun to come up?”

“He’s frozen.”

“Build a fire.”

“If I build a fire, you’ll only use it to thaw your own frost bitten toes.”

“If you don’t build a fire, you’ll freeze.”

“Huh. Better I freeze than you thaw your toes”

“Fine. Have it your way.”

I shivered and shook, not half so much from the cold as from rage. Who does this coyote fellow think he is anyway, freezing the whole earth and expecting me to warm it up with my fire. Well, I’ll show him.

“You’re cold aren’t you,” he said in a voice that sounded as if he really felt sorry for me.

“Isn’t that just like Coyote, being just as sweet as pie if he thinks there is something for him to gain,” I said to the frozen world. To Coyote I said, "What do you care, you’re the one that got me into this ice box in the first place.”

"Oh nothing, I just thought that you might like to be warm.”

“You just thought you might be able to warm your toes if I built a fire. Well, I’ve got news for you. You’ll NEVER sit by my fire.” I threw a stick in the direction of his voice in the frozen darkness and heard the sound of icicle songs falling from the trees.

Coyote began to sing.

I paced the frozen snow and looked at Moon. “Why don’t you do something about him?”

“I shine so He can find his breakfast”

“Then do something for me too.”

"I shine so you can find your way.”

I walked and walked. I walked until I knew that Sun was frozen on the other side of yonder hill, and still I walked on. As I walked, I heard the sound of Coyote’s frozen song fading in the distance. My pace quickened, eager to put as much distance between me and the ice maker as possible. After what seemed to be a frozen eternity, I could no longer hear him so I stopped and peered in into the icy gloom.

I’ll build my fire here. I do believe I’ve left Coyote far behind. I started gathering the wood I needed to build the fire I so desperately craved. I’ll show him. I’ll be warm and he’ll be cold. I've really out smarted him this time. I lit a match to the shavings I’d made with my pocket knife and began to blow. Soon I could feel warmth on my face and I knew that at least a small part of Coyote’s frozen waste would be warmed.

About the time the fire was really starting to feel good, I saw a pair of eyes peering at me from the darkness beyond the fire. “Who goes there? Quit cowering in the shadows and step into the light where you can be seen.” The eyes blinked and moved closer, then just before I could tell who they belonged to they stopped. “Come on, get into the light and show your face.” The eyes moved closer and much to my disgust they belonged to none other than that despicable Coyote. I could see the frost on his sides reflecting back the light of the fire. In spite of my displeasure at seeing him, I was delighted to see some of his own frozen songs hanging from his own coat.

“So nice of you to invite me to warm myself by your fire, and such a lovely fire too.”

“Yah, and too bad I have to share its warmth with the likes of you.”

Coyote just sat there and smirked into the fire. It was as though he was proud of himself for getting his own way. We both sat in silence watching the fire. He grinned; I scowled.

My fire must have been working, because Moon thawed and dropped from the frozen sky to its bed behind western horizon. “Now,” I muttered, “if only Sun would melt himself free and come up and shine on me.”

“Shine on me too.”

“You don’t deserve to have Sun shine on you.”

“That may be, but his warm rays would sure feel good on my back.”

“There you go again. First you freeze the whole world with your frozen songs and expect me to build a fire. Then you sing and howl some more, and make it even colder and want Sun to come and get you warm. You’re despicable”

As if in answer, Coyote came around to my side of the fire and sat so as to warm his back side. He looked to the East for ever so long.

For the second time that morning, I was filled with nearly uncontrollable anger at the audacity of this . . . . . this beast. The longer he sat there, the madder I got until I could contain my rage no longer. “Get out!” I Screamed, “GET OUT! Get away from my fire before I roast your flesh in its embers!”

Coyote stood to his feet and quietly slipped into the frozen darkness. Had I not been so angry, I might have noticed how low his head and tail were hanging. In my icy anger, I was only glad that he was once again out in the cold.

I sat there and shivered; it didn’t seem to matter how much wood I put on the fire or how close I sat, I just got colder. My face and skin burned but deep within I was as cold as the frozen world around me. I curled up in my blanket, my back to the fire and slept the sleep of sickness.

In my fevered nightmare, Coyote traveled east through the frozen wilderness on the hot burning desert to the far side of yonder hill and freed Sun from his icy tomb. I slept fitfully, fighting with my blanket. I saw coyote building a fire under Sun to warm him up. I saw coyote roasting in the embers of my fire only to find out that it was really me roasting in the smoldering remains of my own fire. I saw many nightmarish things and was glad that I was only dreaming, yet somehow I knew that there was truth in all the things I saw.

“Here, sit up and drink this.” I opened my eyes, but saw only the cold as seen by the light of Sun’s last feeble attempt to warm the world before fading from sight in the West.

“You’ve got to get some food in you if you want to live.” I felt the voice's owner lifting me to a sitting position. “There now take at least a few sips of this soup.” I felt and tasted the warmth of that food. Slowly I felt its strength flowing through my body; I sipped some more. It made me feel so warm and good.

I leaned back and rested in the stranger's arms. I looked into his face; I saw Coyote.