Newest Members
jgraham, Eggshells, Mk89, Mishima, B5b5b5
13415 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bob BlueSky (68), Brant (56), Happenstance (48), jimminy (29), keeper (51), MischievousSpirit (42), skooter27 (33), vbalfour (63), whancrar (51)
Who's Online
4 registered (Ceremony, blacken, 2 invisible), 57 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,415 Registered Members
75 Forums
69,491 Topics
484,669 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#293544 - 06/29/09 02:08 PM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: nevermind]
Jim1961 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pa, but likely traveling...
Curious of your age? I'm 48. My wife and I are testing tomorrow for our green belt first stripe.

Jim

Edited by Jim1961 (06/29/09 02:08 PM)

My Story

#293632 - 06/30/09 09:27 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: nevermind]
Stormpen Offline

Loc: NYC, US
I have to be a bit careful with the cardio (hereditary heart condition) but found Jujitsu to fit in fine with that. I stopped about a year ago though due to a shoulder injury (bursitis) after a bad break fall (was supposed to go into a roll, but when from standing straight down on to my shoulder instead).

I am considering doing rolfing or deep tissue massage to break up the bursitis, because I do want to return to the dojo. While learning self defense is a benefit, for me the primary benefit was in learning to relax, and learning to move in new ways. The discipline (of the training exercises) was also good for a calmer, more clutter free mind, perhaps because I had to be fully present - so it was grounding in that respect.

When I do eventually make it back to the dojo, I'll be curious to see what effect being more relaxed will have. I used to carry a massive amount of tension in my body, but have been finding ways to either counteract it, or dispel it. At the least, I'll give my sensei's voice a rest. The word I most often heard was, "Relax!"

#293904 - 07/02/09 07:00 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: Jim1961]
nevermind Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Jim1961
Curious of your age? I'm 48. My wife and I are testing tomorrow for our green belt first stripe.

Jim

I'm 40, 5'9" and about 180 lbs. Last year at this time I had myself down to 14 percent body fat, but I've gotten off track during my recovery. My whole approach to fitness and martial arts has changed because I see now that I developed perfectionist tendencies in order to hide my csa memories and feelings. It's going to take some patience.

Master Kan:
"The thorn defends the rose. It harms only those who would steal the blossom from the plant."

Kung Fu, Episode 4

#293905 - 07/02/09 07:05 AM Re: Returning To Martial Arts [Re: Stormpen]
nevermind Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Shiatsu may help, since you're already rooted in the Japanese arts. My Goju Ryu Sensei taught shiatsu massage as well as reiki healing. I'm currently level 2 with the option of moving to master whenever I feel ready. Shiatsu has really come in handy with my wife's aches and pains, I highly recommend it.

Master Kan:
"The thorn defends the rose. It harms only those who would steal the blossom from the plant."

Kung Fu, Episode 4

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.