Newest Members
mmm coffee, Calibre09, FallGuy2154, Whoamitoday, Joe4618
13527 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
anon_wife (37), Chilly Willy (57), FC (57), JHB1976 (41), malitovsky1 (63), Roofus (46), Sara L. (35), TexasCowboy (55), toni (62)
Who's Online
5 registered (Ceremony, usmc97, 3 invisible), 66 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,527 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,364 Topics
491,386 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#273656 - 02/02/09 01:01 PM Michael Phelps is a moral coward.
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States

What looser! I have more respect for the guy that sold/gave him that marijuana than for this
Olympic Gold Medal Winner.

To Mr. Phelps:

Instead of taking the proper moral stance of telling the public that it’s none of their business what you do in your private life AND that we’re all hypocrites for criticizing your drug of choice when we go home and drink our cocktails and smoke our cigarettes and take our prozac, even if they’re sanctioned by our all-knowing, ever-wise government, you responded to this exposure by mewling a diatribe of it being a “mistake”. PUUHHHLLEEZZZZ

Give me a break already Mr. Phelps! You’re throwing away a perfect opportunity to educate the public that drug use does not necessarily constitute abuse, and that because of your “youthful indiscretions”, as you like to call them, you would not somehow be a better “citizen” or role model if you were now in jail for your harmless act. Shame on you, Just because you MIGHT lose the chance to make shaving cream commercials, you’re taking the coward’s way out.

What ever happened to men of principle?

If you're really "sorry", why don't you take a copy of that picture and bring it with you to the nearest police station, and join the more than 800,000 people who were arrested for marijuana-related charges in 2007? Loser!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/02/sports/othersports/02phelps.html?ref=sports

#273668 - 02/02/09 02:52 PM Re: Michael Phelps is a moral coward. [Re: Hauser]
SuperTramp7981 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
legalize it

I wasn't really rooting for him anyway in the Olympics, I could care less about swimming.

'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fulfil de book.

Chat Name-Lparsons

#273672 - 02/02/09 03:45 PM Re: Michael Phelps is a moral coward. [Re: SuperTramp7981]
lars3229 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa
I liked him in the Olympics, but lately could care less. I don't think there really is anyone left to look up to anymore. So many fakes and frauds.

lars

like dust,
I'll rise.

-Maya Angelou

"I quite often remember to forget these sorts of things."
-Winnie the Pooh, The Tigger Movie

#273674 - 02/02/09 04:02 PM Re: Michael Phelps is a moral coward. [Re: SuperTramp7981]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Alan,

Looks to me that Michael(Mr olympics)Phelps might have have a substance abuse problem. First a drunk driving in 2004 amd now this. Maybe he needs to take some time to look at and address this issue instead of making excuses.

He is a role model for alot of young people around the world and his choices can have alot of influence upon them.

Sorry Alan and supertramp but for alot of people smoking pot is not a harmless act. But the start of a long descent into the hell of drug addiction. I was one of them.

A man of principle obey the laws of the land whether they agree with them or not.

I think that our country needs to update it's policy on how we deal with drug use.
But until then as the old saying goes " Do the crime. Serve the time"

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#273684 - 02/02/09 06:32 PM Re: Michael Phelps is a moral coward. [Re: michael banks]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Then there was that red-haired snowboarder too!!!

Legalize it and tax it like cigarettes.

Pay down our national debt a little.

Mark

#273687 - 02/02/09 07:32 PM Re: Michael Phelps is a moral coward. [Re: Trucker51]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'll only speak for myself but pot throws my head into a tailspin. I see now in retrospect it always hit me hard, but it really tore me apart after I remembered the stuff from my past. Basically it spins my mind out of control and then I get to a point where I pretty much feel insane at best. It isn't (or shall I say wasn't) always this bad, but it stopped being fun a long time ago irregardless.

Now granted, a lot of this has to do with my mental make up and I know the issues from my past play a big role in this. That being the case I realize I can not judge others usage patterns based on the fact that it doesn't sit well for me. That said, and this may sound opinionated, but I often look at people who obviously identify very highly with getting stoned and I just do not get the symbolisms and other things they identify so greatly with. It is as if some use their pot usage as a means of identity and I would thinks that is a pretty shallow thing to base that on. But our culture is full of that kind of thing sometimes I think (okay, often I think). But I won't categorizes everybody into a single observation, just something I have noticed coming from someone who smoked quite a bit in the past. I do also agree there is a bit of hypocrisy in regards to the other "drugs" that we have sanctioned.

#273692 - 02/02/09 08:17 PM Re: Michael Phelps is a moral coward. [Re: Trucker51]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Mark,

In the state of North Carolina to buy hard liquor you have to go into a state liquor store. It is sold no where else.
I feel this could be a model of distrubrition for drugs in the U.S. Too get it out of the hands of the drug cartels,mafia and the gangs.You know how much the governments hates competition. Plus no one knows how to wage war like our government.( that was for Alan)

Serious they could control the quality,quantity ,access, know who is using what and how much. To provide info for those who need help and to generate tax dollars for treatment programs and itself.

Could be a win-win situation.
Plus we could quit wasting money on the war on drugs and save billions of dollars . Not to mention how much would be save from not throwing drug users in jail.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#273698 - 02/02/09 09:02 PM Re: Michael Phelps is a moral coward. [Re: michael banks]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada

Back to Mr. Phelps... I agree that his "official" response rings of hypocrisy. Being a product and managed by others I am hesitant in hanging a label on the person. When I think about it I am drawn immediately to the story of his life history. A history that put him squarely at risk of dependency/co-dependency, and with the DUI and the Bong in the public record that may well be playing out. Heck, I am wont to wonder about the "super-achiever" and the failings of those who reach heights of achievement... will they fall, and are they driven by a need to please those who they were not good enuf for ? Heck when I couldn't be perfect and acceptable I tried to make my children be perfect so maybe I would be acceptable by virtue of their perfection. (thank God my kids are imperfect, and I've stopped trying to make them perfect)

Could he be in denial of these as issues, sure... I was for longer than he has been on this planet.

Thanks for listening.

As for the legalizing of pot... I don't care either way, that will not affect anything that matters. Whether a thing or act is legal does not change it's abuse pattern... I would much rather see a focus on bringing the underbelly of life into the light to be seen for what it is.

From the heart, Wes

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#273701 - 02/02/09 09:15 PM Re: Michael Phelps is a moral coward. [Re: michael banks]
AndyS87 Offline

Loc: sorry, but I don't say on the ...
Well, as many people as pot harms, I think there are a lot of people who it helps. I won't get into an argument on how or why, but some people have been smoking it for years with no problems, other get addicted to it, and others still get into heavier drugs when smoking pot just isn't enough for them anymore.

For me, smoking pot when I was younger was something fun I did in a boring ass town with nothing around me for three years. I had my fun. Then I quit for a while because I was spending a few months preparing myself for a second degree blackbelt, and I thought to myself "well afterwards I can smoke again if I want to, but it's really not that bad not smoking." And so for 8 months I didn't touch it. On top of that, I was starting to take on a fair amount of responsibility and thought that it wasn't really a good thing for me to be getting high. After all, since I was helping teach karate classes in a small town at the time, I didn't want to risk running into some parents with their kids from the karate school seeing me baked out of my skull.

So after I passed that test, I tried it again, didn't really like it, and got so high I thought my heart was going to blow up. Since that scared the shit out of me, I gave up on trying to get back into smoking again, but told myself I wouldn't turn it down if somebody wanted to offer me some. I smoked a few more times on and off, but I noticed that I would feel really weird. It wasn't the same goofy happy high I used to get, there was something else there. Then last march I got stoned in New York with some friends, spent the next day in the city freaking out even when I was sober, and managed to get my friends to leave with me the next day. We smoked again before we left in an attempt to get me calmed down, but that didn't work. Being high in Grand Central Station is NOT a fun time. Then I started having another panic attack on the train, and then these crazy closed eye visuals that when I look back at them, clearly signaled that I had to address my abuse issues instead of ignoring them. I basically kept envisioning in my head that somebody was raping me, and that I just gave up and let them. That had never actually occured in my abuse, but it got close. Anyways, I spent the next three days bedridden and panicked, and then finally called my Mom and got a few phone numbers for therapists. Things have gone uphill from there, and I still don't smoke.

But I look at it this way. Some people might say "oh my god, pot made you trip out so bad that you had to go to counseling? That shit is BAD NEWS!" but I view it like this. Without that marijuana induced freak out, I never would have addressed the issue, I just would have ignored it. Also, some of my best personal breakthroughs in my technique martial arts wise have come from practicing basic moves and meditating on them while high. I improved an awful lot of my technique in that manner, god only knows how or why but it's the gods honest truth. The last time I smoked though I just sat there and thought to myself "Why am I doing this? This isn't fun any more, it's just boring. I told myself I was going to stop this, and I feel like I'm being weak willed right now." And that's it right there.

Like alcohol, I would say this for pot. Is it good for you to abuse it? No. Can it be physically and mentally harmful? If you abuse it, hell yes. If you use it responsibly, will you be able to control yourself? Yes. I think the key is that just like any other substance, be it cigarettes, alcohol, or pot, if you use it and you don't want to be addicted to it, you have to use it in moderation. Once in a while won't fry your brain and turn you into a smelly hippy. But I do acknowledge that for some people, it's just no good, period.

#273740 - 02/03/09 01:26 AM Re: Michael Phelps is a moral coward. [Re: AndyS87]
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

There's nothing wrong with smoking pot, and he's just out of college. Take away the celebrity and there'd be no big deal. He never got into swimming because he wanted to be a celebrity, he got into it because it helped him handle his energy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.