Newest Members
Bilbo408, JHJ, NowICanSee, rdc445, batman72
13229 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (60), Aaron7712 (50), Defiance Is Best (48), Interpreter (32), Kenn (57), RichardPaulPoill (70), soul (36), Tyler845 (29)
Who's Online
2 registered (oliverwendell, zookeeper), 66 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,229 Registered Members
75 Forums
68,561 Topics
477,101 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Topic Options
#222803 - 05/06/08 11:12 AM Dreams, Dissociation, and Somatic Experiencing
inthegrass33 Offline
New Here

I just wanted to share something--my experience with somatic experience just now really started. i read peter levine's book maybe about a year ago. did anyone notice that he didn't really give an idea about how to go about doing his therapy?! i did, but found this website and started to work on myself.

I have had dissociation or been "frozen" for about 22 years, i'm guessing. this shit is really hard--it's been hard to live, hard to decide, hard on every part of me. but the advice of the therapy is, i think, really working on me. i'm just now trying to separate the trauma in my nervous system with what i think and believe. so anyways, i'm having really profound dreams. very small muscles, tissues, parts of my body have been shaking--it FEELS like it's electricity almost where there was no feeling before. so i went to sleep last night and had a dream--long story short i felt i had to force my eyes open before it was over.

i don't know where i am on the road to recovery yet. i wish somepeople on here would let me know if they've been through this kind of de-tensing, shivering thing in their bodies and the coming back to physical life sort of thing. \

but in my body, i felt like i was two places at once. right now, as frozen, i don't really have an awareness of where i am, but in this dream thing, i was like in another place and i was really really really really scared of what was about to happen to me. i just hope i can face this next time. cause i was soooooo frightened.

thanks for listening people. send me some feedback, cause i feel really alone and crazy on this...uh...ride.

#222935 - 05/06/08 09:13 PM Re: Dreams, Dissociation, and Somatic Experiencing [Re: inthegrass33]
River Offline

Loc: Nashville,Tennessee
I have never experienced muscle stuff that you are describing.I have experienced bizarre body sensations. They often have occured in the middle of the night, getting woken up by them. I have run through the house screaming in some weird state in the past. Woken up screaming and scared the crap out of my wife. I have had the sensation of feeling like I am two places at once. I have also had the experience of "losing time" and absolutely having no memory of a period of time or event and being told about it by my wife, my grandmother's funeral, for example. I still get tunnel vision sometimes ... usually when I get really tired. There is a definate body connection in my opinion. When I was going through a bunch of this shit I ended up having MAJOR surgery on butt --I will spare you the details only to say it was MUCH more than a hemorhoid... and something that the surgeon said he only sees once or twice a year. I am a really healthy, active and relatively young guy! Freaking bizzarre!!!

Dude, I am getting through it. You are too!! Hang in there. This may not make any sense... but I am going to say it... Stay in your eyes. Stay in the here and now. Ground yourself. I have often done this by looking at specific things in my surroundings... for example.. I was driving down the interstate and having a difficult time in my head.. I started looking at my surroundings, noting them out loud.. Green sign, blue car, white puffy cloud, the song playing on the radio is____, I am going 70 miles per hour, Hertz truck, silver Nissan... things to ground me into the here and now... Hope it helps.

Edited by River (05/06/08 09:14 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.