Newest Members
JHJ, NowICanSee, rdc445, batman72, scareypt
13228 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bcb00 (40), beginning (36), Gary H. (43), jewelmom (65), kdg2310 (57), Li Yuki (2016), monarchnaps (38), Neverquit (32), Nord (60), SoSad (47)
Who's Online
3 registered (DannyT, TDC, Ceremony), 46 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,228 Registered Members
75 Forums
68,545 Topics
476,945 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Topic Options
#217751 - 04/13/08 08:23 AM Should Children be Taught This?
pufferfish Offline

Loc: USA

Can you tell someone's intent by learning certain characteristics?

I know that the intent of this article was not for children, but wouldn't it have been cool if we could have recognized their intent?

#217754 - 04/13/08 08:39 AM Re: Should Children be Taught This? [Re: pufferfish]
hogan_dawg Offline

Google Ekman's Facial Action Coding Scale - he's the boss for this kind of stuff.

Typically you have to train facial raters. It's difficult. 100 hours of training. Plus, there's an ethical concern in introducing such concepts into a very young child's cognitive repertoire.

One problem with street proofing 2-4 year olds is that they don't have a sophisticated language for understanding deception or misdirection, tactics perpetrators employ.

Yes it would have been extremely cool to have these tools in my arsenal before the attacks - I feel this as an adult only. It also would have been extremely cool if I'd been taught when it is appropriate to bite down hard.

Edited by hogan_dawg (04/13/08 08:51 AM)
I can say unequivocally that the lie of "To truly heal you must first forgive" has derailed more victims than the abusers themselves.
Andrew Vachs, 2003

#217755 - 04/13/08 08:40 AM Re: Should Children be Taught This? [Re: pufferfish]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus

Loc: Carlisle, PA

Interesting article. It's uncanny how interest in casual sex as opposed to commitment seems to show in one's face. But I wonder at the reasoning. According to this study any guy with strong square features is doomed by physiology to always want casual sex as opposed to a relationship.

When I was a teenager none of this mattered all that much. I thought that everyone who approached me or was nice to me wanted me for casual sex.

Much love,

Nobody living can ever stop me
As I go walking my freedom highway.
Nobody living can make me turn back:
This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#217803 - 04/13/08 12:08 PM Re: Should Children be Taught This? [Re: roadrunner]
GateKPR4 Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
ôSo in fact, we do judge a book by its cover. And the funny thing is, it often works for us.ö

I found this to be true in my adult life. As a child I was not as aware of first impressions as I am now and today they are usually right.
Hard to do this on the internet though.

I'm a normal person dealing with abnormal experiences.
The greatest discoveries we will find within ourselves.
|| || || || || || |

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.