Newest Members
cactus8, Neil Benesh, blazzeee, mmm coffee, Calibre09
13530 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Asmodeus (34), comeath3 (78), Poo (53), Roy (56), Skeeter (58), tazrad (46), Treehugger75 (42), waterworld (56)
Who's Online
2 registered (mikewww, 1 invisible), 73 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,530 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,385 Topics
491,530 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#168397 - 07/22/07 03:25 PM Massage
des6263 Offline

Loc: midwest, US
I am a certified massage therapist, I was wondering if anyone had incorporated massage into their recovery? I have read some articles on it being used in conjunction with counseling. Just curious if anyone has used it? Any thoughts or in put about the idea?

#168410 - 07/22/07 04:23 PM Re: Massage [Re: des6263]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
I know many massage therapists that incorporate massage with counseling. It makes sense! Body memories...touch and relaxation brings sensations that some folks can't understand..etc.

Howard

#168474 - 07/23/07 12:02 AM Re: Massage [Re: ScottyTodd]
Elad 12 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: on the coast
I have had massage as a part of my recovery and have found it helpful. I know many abuse survivors have a difficult time with bodywork but I enjoy it and feel it works well for me.

Dale

#169015 - 07/26/07 12:12 AM Re: Massage [Re: Elad 12]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
having a massage by a stranger sounds terrifying to me.

,chris

#169019 - 07/26/07 12:20 AM Re: Massage [Re: theatrekid]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Oh, man...I'm with ya on that one, TK...

Dave

#169049 - 07/26/07 02:47 AM Re: Massage [Re: des6263]
Army Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Hey Des6263,

I have been using massage in my recovery. First I had to get comfortable with the idea of a man touching my body. This was a big step though, because it helped me to work though touch by a man that was not sexual. It has taken some time but now I get a massage every few months. Today was really great, I am traveling and got a massage by a blind male therapist. It was the most comfortable I have ever felt. He was so kind and healing and I wasn't scared about him looking at my stuff or doing something too me.

Are you a survior? If not, please understand that trust is the issue here, and fear. Several fears come to my mind... is he gonna touch me... Am I gonna get excited because of a trigger? Can I know that this guy is safe? What do I do if I start to feel uncomfortable?

Out of all my massages, around 30 at this point, I have to say that nothing "bad" has happened to me. All the men that have given me a massage have been utter professionals. It has been great healing in my recovery. I learned to trust other men more because of it. And that my body doen't have to respond in a sexual way because of my abuse. Hope this helps.

Army

#169052 - 07/26/07 03:27 AM Re: Massage [Re: Army]
terpprm Offline

Loc: Clifton Park, New York
where does one go to get a massage? and what kind of massage is most recommended? don't the women do the men and the men the women? how do i select the right massage therapist?

#169054 - 07/26/07 03:52 AM Re: Massage [Re: terpprm]
TJ jeff Offline

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I know my docs have said many times that massage would be very good for me because of my M.D. (though it would be painful - it would help to flush out the toxins)

I keep telling myself I'm going to do it - then chicken out - I know I could'nt have a guy do it

what does one even wear? - I've heard that one wears nothing? - cept a towel (and even that gets moved around)?

I do really worry about feelings/emmotions that might come up durring it

Army -
Quote:
Am I gonna get excited because of a trigger?
- that is something that worries me too

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#169062 - 07/26/07 04:53 AM Re: Massage [Re: TJ jeff]
terpprm Offline

Loc: Clifton Park, New York
that's another thing with me. the whole naked thing. i've never been naked around anybody since the csa, i don't know about that!

#169079 - 07/26/07 10:42 AM Re: Massage [Re: terpprm]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, hmmm?

I certainly admire yer attitude, Army...

My experiences started at three. I am sexual...no ifs ands or buts about it. Petting the cat gives me an erection so...massage??? Uhm, no...

My very first therapist suggested, "Bodywork," I laughed, she seemed genuinely surprised that I was unwilling to try it. When she located a group...I walked right into that...workshops, I went...but massage? No...

I often wonder what the general public imagines it is like to be a survivor? My experiences were almost choreographed in my estimation...long and drawn out, as if the whole purpose was to provoke a physical response so he could watch me burn.

The concept of a massage sounds cool...maybe someday.

Dave

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.