Newest Members
YTUK, twinker, LaneFiasco95, Kristabar, tom93
13514 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (57), Ready2MoveOn (47)
Who's Online
2 registered (SDD757, LoneWolfX), 74 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,514 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,200 Topics
490,162 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Topic Options
#148032 - 03/31/07 08:42 PM Support Group and/or Therapist In KCMO?
buzz_key Offline

Registered: 03/31/07
Posts: 635
Loc: USA
I live just North of Kansas City, Missouri, and am needing to find a credible therapist in my area who knows what they are doing with adult male survivors of boyhood sexual abuse. I am also desiring to find a local support group. I am experiencing one of those periods in life where the memories and experiences are effecting me and I need help and support.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

#148139 - 04/01/07 03:35 PM Re: Support Group and/or Therapist In KCMO? [Re: buzz_key]
WalkingSouth Offline

Registered: 08/30/05
Posts: 16270
Loc: Waldport, Oregon

You question is one of the most often asked here. It can be a tough one especially for individuals such as yourself who live in the "heartland". There is a "Find a Therapist" feature we have on the site accessible from one of the menu's on the homepage. As you will or have already noticed, the list is not too well populated. But there are counselors listed there in a number of states.

As far as support groups go that one is even more difficult. You can look back through the archive of the "Classifieds" forum and may find something there. Most often your best bet in finding a support group is to find a therapist first.

As a practical suggestion, my best approach if I were in your place would be to start calling mental health professionals in your area and ask if thy specialize or can give you a referral to someone who does specialize in treating men who have experienced childhood sexual abuse.

What I ended up doing, and you might consider it as well, was I made an appointment with someone I'd heard good things about but wasn't a specialist, and spilled my guts about my abuse history. The therapist told me she was not able to meet my needs but agreed to continue seeing me while she searched for someone who did specialize. From that contact I ended up with a referral to the Doc I needed, including a group.

I wish you well in your search, and welcome to our group here. I think you'll find this place to a supportive and caring place to interact with other's who have experienced the same childhood trauma as yourself.

Lots of love,


"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy Shit! What a ride!'" ~Hunter S. Thompson


Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.