Newest Members
SuAn, Tranquil, smichael, bushydw, Teddyboy1969
13559 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BruisedSpirit (44), EyesWideOpen (44), Razor (38), roger (37)
Who's Online
7 registered (anxietydepressio, Ceremony, 4 invisible), 53 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,559 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,515 Topics
492,447 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#140895 - 02/09/07 09:24 PM Imagine being abused in this age!
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
If I go back to the 70s, life was tough, in every respect it meant having barely the means to live, but we were never much in debt.
Life was simple, advice rare, but life was slower and not so much demanding! But Hey! How can I imagine being abused in a world that is so competitive?

How many of us flunked exams, or placement in higher schools?
I guess, if we are happy within our world that we make for ourselves, then that is all we ever need.

Still doesnt stop waves of depression, but its a good start,

wabbit,

ste

#140911 - 02/10/07 01:02 AM Re: Imagine being abused in this age! [Re: reality2k4]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, I was abused in this age. And I do not know at all what you are asking or saying here? Sorry.

Andrei

#140913 - 02/10/07 01:07 AM Re: Imagine being abused in this age! [Re: ak]
batcountry Offline

Loc: the ether
yeah i'm not sure what you are saying either...

i think the "pace of life" has a lot to do with where you live as well as the time period. and being a kid puts a different filter on things too.

#140933 - 02/10/07 03:05 AM Re: Imagine being abused in this age! [Re: batcountry]
AshSurvived Offline

Loc: Australia
ak: I love your signature quote, that's exactly how I feel.

I think Reality, that you are reminiscing, and I'm too young for that, but I do see where you are coming from. You got abused in the good old days. I got abused in the 80's, and some people seem to think the 80's stood for something too, but when I look back on the 90's I can't tell where the 80's finished and the noughties began.

Perhaps abuse in the post 60/70's has more to do with 'the pace' and parental neglect, whereas in the olden days it was more within the family, the family was perhaps more responsible. But that's just a huge generalisation. I think in reality abuse is abuse and it doesn't care much what the decade is or what calendar you settle on.

I think of abuse as being a finite expression that could be caused by any number of things. Like running down the street could be caused by any number of things, to me abuse is like that, it's not consistent and easily pigeonholed by geography or culture or time. Because there are many types of abuse, but it's still abuse, and really there is abuse and non-abuse, it's pretty finite for all the reasons and influences on the behaviour. That to me is the constant. Human behaviour is finite, while the influences might be infinite.

Just my usual thread-killing thoughts on the subject.

- Harvey Pekar to David Letterman
(American Splendour)

#140963 - 02/10/07 10:02 AM Re: Imagine being abused in this age! [Re: AshSurvived]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was talking about pace of life today compared to life then.
Life was much slower so I had more space, but today it is tough finding a job, then you could get a job anytime and have space in between.

Parents today are totally drained coming home from work, and dont have time for their kids to talk.
If I go back, then this would not be the case.

Finally there was far less 'perceived' violence in the world, and murder was a rare event.
I still yearn for the world to be a safer place,

ste

#140972 - 02/10/07 02:23 PM Re: Imagine being abused in this age! *DELETED* [Re: reality2k4]
jacobtk Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by jacobtk

Every day I die again, and again Iím reborn/Every day I have to find the courage/To walk out into the street/With arms out/Got a love you canít defeat/Neither down nor out/Thereís nothing you have that I need/I can breathe/Breathe now - U2

#140976 - 02/10/07 04:05 PM Re: Imagine being abused in this age! [Re: jacobtk]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I agree with jacobtk. I think however we was abused, whenever we was abused, it was bad enough to each of us. And there is many people here who was abused in 1970s, 1960s, who have had their own troubles with finding or keeping jobs, and other such things. I think the stress is no different now then before, I think.

Andrei

#141003 - 02/10/07 06:34 PM Re: Imagine being abused in this age! [Re: ak]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Waldport, Oregon
It is my belief that each person's stress, regardless of how much or how litltle, expands to fill their life. That is one reason it is suggested that we not compare our abuse story to that of our brother. It is all bad regardless of the severity, date, method, etc. It steps in and destroys a life and the owner of that life has a difficult task ahead to recover.

My $0.02.

Lots of love,

John

#141026 - 02/10/07 09:06 PM Re: Imagine being abused in this age! [Re: WalkingSouth]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is still woolley to me, like the past is there but not there.
I can remember running the gauntlet as a kid with gangs of kids.
Funnily I remember being their friend after much pursuasion.

I could also remember being bullied by those who may have wanted to be friends, or ones I told the teacher of, that they were bullying someone else.

I got beat up and isolated till I took the bullies on full frontal, then the kids all wanted to be friends.
I guess the question is too broad, as I may ask just how hard it was when little food was about, and a boy had to do things to eat to survive,

ste

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.