Newest Members
mmm coffee, Calibre09, FallGuy2154, Whoamitoday, Joe4618
13527 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
anon_wife (37), Chilly Willy (57), FC (57), JHB1976 (41), malitovsky1 (63), Roofus (46), Sara L. (35), TexasCowboy (55), toni (62)
Who's Online
6 registered (traveler, Ceremony, UniversalBeing, 3 invisible), 75 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,527 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,364 Topics
491,387 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#125617 - 03/17/06 04:13 AM food addiction?
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

I eat junk food easily when under stress, or just when I am given the opportunity. I've chosen the health food route presently, but I am concerned about something.
I never carry money on me since I know I indulge in junk food if I can acquire it. It's easy, and I'm not heavy. I started going to Overeaters Anonymous about 2-3 years back, but dropped it. Lots of factors. Anyway, I should start carrying gas money on me since some people give me rides presently. I can't drive.
I think I should start carrying money to maybe learn consequences. In AA they say the addiction never really leaves. It grows over time, and we have to mind it. But is this dumb? The addiction hasn't disappeared. Will having available money sink me? Should I allow this? I have to have feedback.

fhorns

#125618 - 03/17/06 04:59 AM Re: food addiction?
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
The last time I gave up smoking, and I gave up for nearly 10 years, I made sure that I had a packet of smokes with me at all times during the early days.
The cravings when I hadn't got a smoke were 10 times worse.

But that technique aint working now, dammit!

Dave

#125619 - 03/17/06 09:50 PM Re: food addiction?
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
fhorns,

When I was younger and trying to give up hard drugs, one thing I did was to clip the money in my wallet together with a red paperclip, which I chose as a symbol of how drugs were bleeding me to death both physically and emotionally. Every time I thought of buying a hit of acid or speed I knew I would have to reach into my wallet and see that red paperclip. Soon just carrying my wallet around served to remind me of that thing. At first I fumed at the times I stopped myself, thinking that I had missed out on another "good time". But soon things started shifting the other way and I didn't want to lose momentum. And as my head cleared (literally!) I began to realize how much drugs had harmed me, and the red paperclip reminded me of that as well. I still have that paperclip, and I have been clean off hard drugs for 30 years this year.

Overeating is a different problem, of course, but perhaps something symbolic would help you too. I just can't think of what might help.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.