Newest Members
meekness, jake1985, cactus8, Neil Benesh, blazzeee
13532 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (47), Dupe1978 (39), James_Is_Talking (39), K-man (61), LordShiningStarr (39), ricky (54), Shawn Hope (32), teresa (45), Warner82 (35)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 71 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,532 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,391 Topics
491,574 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#125567 - 03/09/06 08:09 AM Touching Lives
relaxingpiano Offline

Loc: Miami FL
While I understand massage and bodywork may very likely be a frightening concept for many, I thought I would share this story that relates the music I create to my profession which is massage/bodywork.

I keep hearing stories from people about what my music (especially the new CD "FOCUSING") is doing for them. Some of the stories touch me so deeply and amaze me. I know of people using the CD in some of their bodywork sessions and some of their clients are having some very profound experiences just with the music playing in the background.

Today, I heard one such example and it really warmed me in a very special way. In fact the particular song that this lady referred to where it really connected with the client was one of the songs that I almost didn't put on there.

I'm just touched and just amazed at how one giving of myself can touch so many other people. It gives me a purpose that is far greater than any task I could do in a day. And it gives me encouragement to go deeper into all of this - all of that which I don't currently understand.

Just in case you aren't aware, my music is one of the beautiful things that has come out of my years of pain that I went through. It was locked deep inside of me and the more I heal, the more it comes out. The more it comes out, the more I heal.

Just thought I'd share this with you all.

Don

http://www.donshetterly.com

#125568 - 03/10/06 05:52 AM Re: Touching Lives
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Don,

Thanks for sharing this. I have always found music very relaxing and therapeutic for me. But at the same time I am still very nervous about being touched. Your post makes me wonder if combining the two would help me to overcome my extreme reactions to being touched.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#125569 - 03/10/06 11:11 PM Re: Touching Lives
relaxingpiano Offline

Larry, It is possible that music can help. It helps me greatly and I still struggle with being touched although I get work done on myself every week. My body is very slow to trust anyone. Some of the light touch modalities like Trager, Cranial Sacral, Reiki (and my mind escapes me on the others right now) may be an easier way into touch. For me being fully clothed makes a world of differance. But also just as importantly is feeling safe with whoever is touching you. There are some massage therapists out there that I just don't feel safe with. Fortunatley the doctor that does Somatic Therapy has a very safe touch (otherwise he wouldn't see me again). Network Chiropractic could be a good thing as well. But only do it when you are ready and just make sure you have support in place if things do come up (like they tend to in my body).

I do know that if I allow anyone to give me a very deep massage, my body reacts very negatively and usually I'm dealing with intense anger for the next several days. So I'm trying to get to the point where I really tell people, light touch only and then make sure they follow through on that.

I do know how hard it is accepting touch... I've been there with my own body and I struggle with it as a therapist myself. But I also know the healing that it is bringing into my life that words alone just couldn't reach.

Don

#125570 - 03/11/06 08:11 PM Re: Touching Lives
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Don,

One of the safest people in my life, my good friend Beth, did a session of therapeutic touch with me the last time I was in the States. That did not involve touching at all, and I trust Beth 100%. But it did involve closing my eyes and it took me about 5 minutes to get comfortable with that. Little Larry was on Red Alert and asking me, okay, just WHERE are you taking us now??!!

I wonder (coming back to music) if I would have been more comfortable from the start if there had been relaxing music playing.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125571 - 03/12/06 11:50 AM Re: Touching Lives
relaxingpiano Offline

I've not had therapeutic touch but have heard a lot about it. And I could understand about Little Larry wondering... It is possible that the right music could have helped.. I know at times, it has helped me just focus on it while I tried to let my body relax a little. I say expiriment with it if you get another opportunity and see what happens.

Don

#125572 - 03/12/06 01:00 PM Re: Touching Lives
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Don,

I will ask Beth about the idea of adding music and see what she thinks. She is a medical professional, by the way, a nurse practitioner.

Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125573 - 03/12/06 11:14 PM Re: Touching Lives
relaxingpiano Offline

Larry,
I'm sure by just talking with her about this, it will help empower you in many ways. And I've got a feeling she will feel honored that you brought this up.

Don

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.