Newest Members
SuAn, Tranquil, smichael, bushydw, Teddyboy1969
13559 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BruisedSpirit (44), EyesWideOpen (44), Razor (38), roger (37)
Who's Online
6 registered (Giovanni, Guss, 4 invisible), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
13,559 Registered Members
75 Forums
70,515 Topics
492,461 Posts

Most users ever online: 418 @ 07/02/12 11:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124253 - 08/01/05 04:44 AM Paying it forward
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Is just an idea I am choosing, and am putting it here also in case others wish to engage in it.

As I said in another post, the power of PM is great here. You can 'speak' directly with one other member. To either agree or disagree with them. To encourage or discourage. Honest, I will admit, I have done both. I have had personal issues with certain persons here, and have taken them up in PM. Sometime they work out, sometime they don't. Sometime I will come away from the encounter with a new friend; sometime with the idea of someone I should avoid due to my temperment. You can PM just to say 'hi' to a friend, to offer additional support, to ask questions for clarification on something. It is all good.

What I am thinking right now is to use it for something good. So tonight, I have been sending some PMs. Some to people I know and am friends with. Some to some new people. Some to not-so-new people, but people I have not spoken much with. Some just to offer some additional support in a hard time. A lot of the PMs, they are to say thank you to the person for what special qualities they bring here. And at the end, I ask if they can seek out another person who maybe needs the positive boost, and send a PM on to them. 'Pay it forward'.

I am thinking I will have myself do this from now on, each time I come here. To send a PM to at least one new person, or one person I don't know so well, or one person who looks like they need an additional lift. And just try to offer that, something good to them, with the hopes and request that they pass something good on to someone else. There is to much very good stuff here. To much compassion, to much love, to much advice, to much humor, to not have it shared as much as possible.

I will hope that perhaps others will find this a positive thing to do also. It is of course not necessary. But it can perhaps help multiple people get a smile or feel better for a short time.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#124254 - 08/01/05 04:07 PM Re: Paying it forward
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Hmmm, a nice thought, but I never delete messages, so I dont send so many PMs.

I suppose I should copy the messages into word, and delete them, some I cannot delete, because they mean so much to me.

But yes, this is a good idea,

thanks,

ste

#124255 - 08/10/05 11:09 AM Re: Paying it forward
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Since some people seem to think no one here cares about others, I am going to put this at the top, and also do it myself. Thank you for a nice idea.

Andrei

#124256 - 08/11/05 08:31 PM Re: Paying it forward
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

I don't want another day to go by without saying what a good idea this is.
I think that most of us want to do what we can to lighten someone's load. But to beat them to the punch, so to speak, is a great idea, kind of like we all, or some of us, become a sorta Welcoming Committee, or Hope That You're Doing OK, Committee.
That kind of activity could pull us out of the doldrums of recovery, too.
Good suggestion, thanks.

David

#124257 - 08/18/05 04:01 AM Re: Paying it forward
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Leosha,

I just wanted to let you know that I felt so grateful and touched that you decided to "pay it forward" to me last week. It has been great to get you know you a bit more.

I have tried this out with two guys here with whom I had never exchanged PMs or otherwise talked to, but whom I thought it would be nice to know better. In both cases it worked out great!

Thanks for such a wonderful idea.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#124258 - 08/18/05 07:29 AM Re: Paying it forward
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
I am glad it has been successful to those who have tried it. I have felt some nice results of it also, and it takes only a few minutes to reach out and say hello, how are you, to someone.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.